Book review: 'The Art of Motherhood' shares experiences from, about moms
“THE ART OF MOTHERHOOD,” Covenant Communications, $19.99, 102 pages (nf)
The joys and the tender feelings that come with motherhood — and all of the emotions in between — are included in the 30 essays on mothers and motherhood that are compiled in “The Art of Motherhood.”
“A mother experiences the deepest grief and the most profound joy possible and everything in between as she nurtures those in her care,” writes Kathryn Jenkins Gordon in the introduction.
“It is an art indeed.”
The essays include art of mothers from a variety of artists, including Greg Olsen, Robert Duncan and Julie Rogers.
The essays, many by Mormon authors, vary from women in all stages of mothering — Anita Stansfield has grown children; Sarah Eden shares an experience involving her 4-year-old; and Traci Hunter Abramson writes, “Utter terror. I had never really known the true meaning of those words until the night my first child was born.”
Melanie Jacobson writes about how a cartoon Band-Aid “outed” her as a mother at a writing conference and the lesson she learned from it.
“And I was proud because that stupid SpongeBob Band-Aid said clearly that I am MOM,” Jacobson concluded. “I kept it there all day as a Mommy Badge of Honor.”
And others, including Ed Pinegar and Jeffrey Savage, share about their own mothers, along with Gale Sears about her mother and grandmother and how worrying is somehow wired into a mom’s genes.
And Kitty De Ruyter-Bons shares an experience about her nurse, who was a mother figure in her life, and her sacrifice.
It’s an easy-to-read compilation that shares the breadth and depth of many experiences that many in all aspects of mothering can identify with.
More recently-released books about mothers
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- LDS Church clarifies position on...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- The Clean Cut: LDS First Presidency shares...
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Religious freedom and economic growth linked...
- LDS Church clarifies position on... 82
- Can you question the Virgin Birth and... 19
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 14
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 12
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- North Ogden to make Nativity display... 8
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- Local faith leaders share inspiring... 5