"THE PIANO GUYS 2," by the Piano Guys, Sony, $13.99
The popular YouTube sensation The Piano Guys has succeeded in producing a second album, "The Piano Guys 2," which will be released May 7. With more than 100 million collective video views and more than 1 million YouTube subscribers, these Utah residents have become not only successful, but have inspired many with their pop renditions of classical songs.
Though The Piano Guys mainly consists of two musicians — Jon Schmidt, pianist, and Steven Sharp Nelson, cellist — there are three other men who contribute greatly to the group. Al Van Der Beek, the "music/studio guy," Paul Anderson, the producer/videographer, and Tel Stewart, the videographer/editor, have also been involved musically in a couple of their songs, though they mainly work behind the scenes.
Creating music videos and posting them on YouTube began as a hobby but quickly turned into much more as they became well-known worldwide. "The Piano Guys 2" includes songs "Rockelbel's Canon" ("Pachelbel's Canon in D"), theme song for "Lord of the Rings," "Nearer My God to Thee," and "Charlie Brown Medley." Additionally, they combined forces with rock-violinist Lindsey Stirling to remake the movie theme song "Mission Impossible."
Along with the new arrangements, The Piano Guys have composed two original songs in this album, "Waterfall" and "Berlin." Each song is masterfully written, arranged and performed and is sure to amaze and entertain audiences. This modern classical music is family friendly and enjoyable for all ages.
In conjunction with the CD, the deluxe version includes a DVD of the music videos. Currently, The Piano Guys are touring — with a stop in Salt Lake City on May 11 that is sold out. They also welcome people to their Facebook page, Facebook.com/PianoGuys, as well as on Twitter — Twitter.com/PianoGuys.
If you go ...
What: The Piano Guys signing
When: Wednesday, May 8, 6-8 p.m.
Where: Deseret Book, Salt Lake Downtown Store, 45 W. South Temple
What: The Piano Guys in concert
When: Saturday, May 11, 7:30 p.m.
Where: Abravanel Hall, 123 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City
Note: This event is sold out.
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- First look at modernized 'Annie' produced by...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Doug's Take: 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' clever...
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 41
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 9
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes' 6
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance... 5