SALT LAKE CITY — Kathryn Bond Stockton, English professor at the University of Utah, was honored at Thursday's commencement ceremonies with the Rosenblatt Prize for Excellence, the U.’s most prestigious award.
The $40,000 gift is presented annually to a faculty member who displays excellence in teaching, research and administrative efforts. The Rosenblatt Prize Committee, a faculty panel, recommends selected candidates for the award. U. President David W. Pershing made the final selection.
“Kathryn Stockton is counted among the top humanities scholars in North America and her brilliance in the classroom is widely recognized," Pershing said in a prepared statement.
Stockton has been a member of the U. faculty since 1987 and was made distinguished professor of English in 2012. She has served as program director for gender studies at the U. for more than 10 years, and she is given credit for transforming it from a modest and locally well-regarded women’s studies program into a center of scholarly inquiry that has achieved national prominence.
During her career, she has taught 20 different courses and received dozens of awards.
The Rosenblatt endowment, from which the prize money is drawn, was established in 1983 by the Joseph and Evelyn Rosenblatt family to honor the civic leadership and generosity of Joseph Rosenblatt’s parents, Nathan and Tillie Rosenblatt, who immigrated to Utah from Russia in the late 19th century.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- Herriman woman wants murder charge in death...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 15