SALT LAKE CITY — Kathryn Bond Stockton, English professor at the University of Utah, was honored at Thursday's commencement ceremonies with the Rosenblatt Prize for Excellence, the U.’s most prestigious award.
The $40,000 gift is presented annually to a faculty member who displays excellence in teaching, research and administrative efforts. The Rosenblatt Prize Committee, a faculty panel, recommends selected candidates for the award. U. President David W. Pershing made the final selection.
“Kathryn Stockton is counted among the top humanities scholars in North America and her brilliance in the classroom is widely recognized," Pershing said in a prepared statement.
Stockton has been a member of the U. faculty since 1987 and was made distinguished professor of English in 2012. She has served as program director for gender studies at the U. for more than 10 years, and she is given credit for transforming it from a modest and locally well-regarded women’s studies program into a center of scholarly inquiry that has achieved national prominence.
During her career, she has taught 20 different courses and received dozens of awards.
The Rosenblatt endowment, from which the prize money is drawn, was established in 1983 by the Joseph and Evelyn Rosenblatt family to honor the civic leadership and generosity of Joseph Rosenblatt’s parents, Nathan and Tillie Rosenblatt, who immigrated to Utah from Russia in the late 19th century.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Bank bomb scare prompts evacuation of...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14