High school softball: Top-ranked Viewmont earns critical region win over Taylorsville
“I knew they would hit,” said Jones. “Taylorsville is a good hitting team. Our little pitcher, Eliza Thornley, has thrown every inning of every game this year. These guys have seen her four times already. We were kind of worried about that, but she stood in there and did her thing.”
After Matthews' home run, Jones called a timeout to remind Thornley just what she was capable of with a little confidence.
“She gets a little upset at herself,” he said. “I just got her to get her head back in the game so she’ll hit her spots. She has phenomenal control. We pretty much know where the ball is going if they hit it.”
The Vikings have lost only two games this season — against Copper Hills and Alta — and boast a 17-2 record heading into a game against a tough Hunter squad next Tuesday.
Jones said the win will help his team play with confidence as it enters the final week of region play and prepares for the playoffs.
“It means a lot to these kids,” he said. “This will be a huge confidence boost to us. Hopefully we won’t look back.”
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- Defensive effort, accountability among Utah...
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Former Utah hoops star Billy 'The Hill'...
- Joy fills streets of Cleveland as LeBron...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 285
- Is independence a viable option for... 123
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 27
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 17
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 13