BYU baseball: Poulson, Whitney play keys in BYU's 8-3 win at LMU
LOS ANGELES — Desmond Poulson threw 109 pitches in a complete game Thursday as BYU gathered 18 hits in an 8-3 victory over Loyola Marymount.
BYU, now 23-17 overall and 9-7 in the West Coast Conference, gained needed ground in the league with a series opening win at LMU, 21-24 and 9-10, thanks to Poulson and a key double by Brock Whitney. Poulson's record improves to 6-1.
“To me that was the biggest at-bat in the game when he hit off the wall” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said about his team regaining the lead.
LMU’s Matt Lowenstein, one of the nation’s leaders in triples, led off with his specialty and scored in the first inning.
In the third inning, Jacob Hannemann’s bunt popped over the pitcher’s head nullifying the sacrifice attempt and leaving him on first with a fielder’s choice. Hannemann capitalized on one of his skills and pre-game tutelage of former Cougar theft master Cameron Coughlan. Hannemann easily stole second, and then scored on Trace Hansen’s single to left field.
Poulson closed out the third and fourth innings with swinging strikeouts. Hannemann beat out a grounder to shortstop on a controversial call to lead off the fifth, waited to steal second again and advanced to third on Hansen’s sac-bunt. Adam Law’s one-out sac-fly to right field enabled Hannemann to give BYU a 2-1 lead.
Jaycob Brugman got his first hit of game, a solo homer, the fifth dinger all year to leave George Page Stadium, as the score increased to 6-2 in favor of BYU. With base runners every inning, each Cougar starter collected a hit from three of the four LMU pitchers, including Hannemann who went 3-for-6, scoring three runs and gathering three RBIs.
The two teams meet again Friday afternoon in the second of a three-game series with KOVO Radio 960 AM again airing the live broadcast which will be carried over the Internet.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Looking back at the top 10 NBA draft picks...
- BYU, Utah State football programs receive...
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- BYU, Utah State football programs... 8
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with... 7