BYU baseball: Poulson, Whitney play keys in BYU's 8-3 win at LMU
LOS ANGELES — Desmond Poulson threw 109 pitches in a complete game Thursday as BYU gathered 18 hits in an 8-3 victory over Loyola Marymount.
BYU, now 23-17 overall and 9-7 in the West Coast Conference, gained needed ground in the league with a series opening win at LMU, 21-24 and 9-10, thanks to Poulson and a key double by Brock Whitney. Poulson's record improves to 6-1.
“To me that was the biggest at-bat in the game when he hit off the wall” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said about his team regaining the lead.
LMU’s Matt Lowenstein, one of the nation’s leaders in triples, led off with his specialty and scored in the first inning.
In the third inning, Jacob Hannemann’s bunt popped over the pitcher’s head nullifying the sacrifice attempt and leaving him on first with a fielder’s choice. Hannemann capitalized on one of his skills and pre-game tutelage of former Cougar theft master Cameron Coughlan. Hannemann easily stole second, and then scored on Trace Hansen’s single to left field.
Poulson closed out the third and fourth innings with swinging strikeouts. Hannemann beat out a grounder to shortstop on a controversial call to lead off the fifth, waited to steal second again and advanced to third on Hansen’s sac-bunt. Adam Law’s one-out sac-fly to right field enabled Hannemann to give BYU a 2-1 lead.
Jaycob Brugman got his first hit of game, a solo homer, the fifth dinger all year to leave George Page Stadium, as the score increased to 6-2 in favor of BYU. With base runners every inning, each Cougar starter collected a hit from three of the four LMU pitchers, including Hannemann who went 3-for-6, scoring three runs and gathering three RBIs.
The two teams meet again Friday afternoon in the second of a three-game series with KOVO Radio 960 AM again airing the live broadcast which will be carried over the Internet.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 15
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 13
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill... 7