3-year-old sustains life-threatening injuries in fall from slide
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A 3-year-old girl sustained life-threatening injuries when she fell from a playground set outside her home Thursday.
Officials responded to emergency calls at the girl's home, 3049 Cortney Drive, about 3 p.m. Thursday and arrived to find the child's mother performing CPR.
The child fell only about 4 ½ to 5 feet off a slide, but her injuries were critical, said West Valley Fire Marshall Bob Fitzgerald. The girl was playing alone in the backyard with her dog at the time of the accident, he said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Pioneer Valley Hospital before being transported by helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center.
Rhandi Reynolds, a neighbor, said she was outside her home when she heard someone yelling from a backyard. She ran over to find the little girl's mother trying to resuscitate her daughter.
Reynolds saw that the little girl's eyes were rolling back in her head and she was possibly vomiting, but there were no other visible injuries.
The mother told Reynolds her daughter had been playing on the slide when the dog knocked her over. It appeared the mother and daughter were the only people home at the time, she said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Car traveling 100 mph crashes into parked...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 38
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 32
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16