Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A 3-year-old girl sustained life-threatening injuries when she fell from a playground set outside her home Thursday.
Officials responded to emergency calls at the girl's home, 3049 Cortney Drive, about 3 p.m. Thursday and arrived to find the child's mother performing CPR.
The child fell only about 4 ½ to 5 feet off a slide, but her injuries were critical, said West Valley Fire Marshall Bob Fitzgerald. The girl was playing alone in the backyard with her dog at the time of the accident, he said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Pioneer Valley Hospital before being transported by helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center.
Rhandi Reynolds, a neighbor, said she was outside her home when she heard someone yelling from a backyard. She ran over to find the little girl's mother trying to resuscitate her daughter.
Reynolds saw that the little girl's eyes were rolling back in her head and she was possibly vomiting, but there were no other visible injuries.
The mother told Reynolds her daughter had been playing on the slide when the dog knocked her over. It appeared the mother and daughter were the only people home at the time, she said.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10