3-year-old sustains life-threatening injuries in fall from slide
Ravell Call, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A 3-year-old girl sustained life-threatening injuries when she fell from a playground set outside her home Thursday.
Officials responded to emergency calls at the girl's home, 3049 Cortney Drive, about 3 p.m. Thursday and arrived to find the child's mother performing CPR.
The child fell only about 4 ½ to 5 feet off a slide, but her injuries were critical, said West Valley Fire Marshall Bob Fitzgerald. The girl was playing alone in the backyard with her dog at the time of the accident, he said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Pioneer Valley Hospital before being transported by helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center.
Rhandi Reynolds, a neighbor, said she was outside her home when she heard someone yelling from a backyard. She ran over to find the little girl's mother trying to resuscitate her daughter.
Reynolds saw that the little girl's eyes were rolling back in her head and she was possibly vomiting, but there were no other visible injuries.
The mother told Reynolds her daughter had been playing on the slide when the dog knocked her over. It appeared the mother and daughter were the only people home at the time, she said.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 114
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 24
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 11