Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Woelfel gave a phone interview with WSSP 1250 sports radio in Milwaukee about the possibility that Sloan could coach the Bucks next season.
"I talked to a couple of friends of Jerry Sloan's within the past couple of days, he definitely wants to return to coaching, and the other interesting facet is that he wants to coach in the small markets, one similar to Utah, so I think Milwaukee qualifies as that kind of environment," he said in the interview.
After coaching the Jazz for 23 seasons, Sloan abruptly resigned mid-season in 2011 after allegedly having a conflict with guard Deron Williams after the previous night's game. Williams was traded to the Nets two weeks later.
Last year, Sloan turned down an offers from the Portland Trailblazers and interviewed with the Charlotte Bobcats before taking himself out of the running.
Sloan told Fox Sports Florida on Thursday, that he would be open to returning to the NBA.
“Yeah, probably, if I thought it would be the right situation,’’ he said.
He did say however, that he hasn't heard from any teams directly.
“I’ve not aware of any (interest from those teams),’’ Sloan said. “I haven’t quit answering the phone If something comes along, it does. If something doesn’t, it doesn’t. That’s one way to look at it.’’
Woelfel said Sloan, who just turned 71 in March, still has what it takes to lead an NBA team.
"Who cares how old he is, the guy can coach."
- Will BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson play vs....
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks about...
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on the...
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks off...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- College football predictions: How will... 137
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 62
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36