Firefighters extinguish blaze at Deseret Industries plant
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A two-alarm fire at a Deseret Industries Manufacturing plant Thursday morning created a lot of smoke but did not result in any injuries.
A fire was reported about 7 a.m. at 1680 S. 1900 West at a plant where furniture and mattresses are manufactured. The fire was located in the hopper in the building outside the main structure, where sawdust is collected from furniture making, said Salt Lake City fire spokesman Jasen Asay.
About five employees were in the building at the time. All got out safely, he said.
The fire was contained to the hopper, but smoke filled the air ducts and set off emergency sprinklers, causing smoke and water damage throughout. After the fire was extinguished, fire crews spent a lot of time trying to ventilate the building without having to cut holes in the roof, Asay said.
It wasn't immediately known Thursday what ignited the sawdust. Investigators also checked the building's carbon monoxide levels before employees were allowed to go back in.
Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Women innovators leading by example
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9