Man shot by police in West Valley charged in domestic dispute
WEST JORDAN — Charges have been filed against the man arrested for threatening officers with a gun this week in the lobby of the West Valley City Police Department, indicating he was involved in a dispute with his wife the night before.
Police say they responded Sunday to a domestic dispute between James Ramsey Kammeyer, 39, and his wife, the night before he entered the police station.
West Jordan police provided no information about the dispute, but Kammeyer has been charged with one count of criminal mischief and two counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child. All charges are class B misdemeanors.
Kammeyer entered the police department just before 8:30 a.m. Monday, asking that an officer come out from behind the lobby's protective glass and later drawing a weapon. An officer responding to the lobby fired multiple shots at Kammeyer from 15 to 20 feet away, hitting him twice in the arm.
Kammeyer was treated at an area hospital and later booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, aggravated burglary and threats against life or property.
In December 2012, officers responded to a report of a suicidal man. Kammeyer had cut his wrists and "told officers at that time that he wanted to die suicide by cop," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer. The man said he was a registered sex offender and his wife was taking his children away from him.
Utah court records show Kammeyer was arrested by West Valley police in 1998. He pleaded guilty to sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony, in 1999. Kammeyer received a suspended prison sentence and was placed on three years' probation.
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Utahns react to death of former Salt Lake...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah, question...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- Salt Lake City named among top 10 downtown...
- Hearing begins to determine fate of teen...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 40
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 27
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 21
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Obama plans trip to South Carolina,... 12