Man shot by police in West Valley charged in domestic dispute
WEST JORDAN — Charges have been filed against the man arrested for threatening officers with a gun this week in the lobby of the West Valley City Police Department, indicating he was involved in a dispute with his wife the night before.
Police say they responded Sunday to a domestic dispute between James Ramsey Kammeyer, 39, and his wife, the night before he entered the police station.
West Jordan police provided no information about the dispute, but Kammeyer has been charged with one count of criminal mischief and two counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child. All charges are class B misdemeanors.
Kammeyer entered the police department just before 8:30 a.m. Monday, asking that an officer come out from behind the lobby's protective glass and later drawing a weapon. An officer responding to the lobby fired multiple shots at Kammeyer from 15 to 20 feet away, hitting him twice in the arm.
Kammeyer was treated at an area hospital and later booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon by a restricted person, aggravated burglary and threats against life or property.
In December 2012, officers responded to a report of a suicidal man. Kammeyer had cut his wrists and "told officers at that time that he wanted to die suicide by cop," said West Valley Police Sgt. Jason Hauer. The man said he was a registered sex offender and his wife was taking his children away from him.
Utah court records show Kammeyer was arrested by West Valley police in 1998. He pleaded guilty to sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony, in 1999. Kammeyer received a suspended prison sentence and was placed on three years' probation.
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 65
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 40
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 36
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17