NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley's Megan Burr and Texas-Pan American's Guillermo Martinez have been named Great West Conference Track and Field Athletes of the Week. The final weekly awards of the 2013 season were announced Wednesday by the conference office.
The women's honor went to Burr who posted top-three finishes in the 100 hurdles, 100 meters and 200 meters at the BYU Robison Invitational. The senior from Las Vegas, Nev., won the 100 hurdles with a time of 14.36 seconds, and placed third in the 100 meters (12.08) and the 200 meters atn24.49. Teammate Natalie Young-Baker finished just ahead of Burr in the 200 at 24.42.
Martinez, a senior from Alamo, Texas, received the men's honor after posting a career-best time of 53.60 at the Bobcat Classic in San Marcos, Texas. In addition to the Broncs, the meet also featured teams from Houston, Louisiana Tech, UTSA, UTEP, New Mexico State, SMU, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and host Texas State, among others.
Others nominated for the weekly award were Texas-Pan American's Robin Galloso and Utah Valley's Blake Adams.
Houston Baptist will host the 2013 GWC Track and Field Championships, May 3-5, at Humble, Texas.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 60
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43