SAN ANTONIO - For the second year in a row, Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper has been named the America Sky Conference Golfer of the Year.
The 2013 award came shortly after Casper tied for fifth at the ACS Championships on Wednesday at The Dominion Country Club.
Casper shot rounds of 74-71-71 to finish the tournament at even-par.
"To play as consistently as he has for two straight years is unheard of," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "He is a complete player."
Casper will now wait for an at-large bid to the NCAA Regionals. Should he get the bid, it will be his second in two years. The bids will be handed down Monday night.
The fifth-place finish Wednesday was the third of the season for Capser, who won the BSU Dash Thomas Invitational in late August. He also tied for second at the COG Mizzou Intercollegiate in early April.
Casper entered the day tied for ninth, after two bogeys in No. 2 and No. 4 he reeled of four birdies in the next five holes to make the turn at -2 for the day. On the back nine be bogeyed No. 10 and birdied No. 14 to climb back to -2 before recording a bogey on the par-3 17th.
He finished just three shots back of tournament winner Sacramento State's Jordan Weir and two shots back of Houston's Baptist's Preston Stanley.
As a team, the Wolverines were in fifth place heading into Wednesday and moved up two spots to third, four shots out of first and one shot out of second.
Houston Baptist finished at +7 to win the tournament, while Southern Utah was +10 and UVU was +11.
"We made one heck of a run at it," Curran said. "We ran out of steam with about four holes to play. When we made the turn we had everyone under par for the day. I'm proud of the guys. They put up a good fight. We came up just a bit short."
Behind Casper, Brayden Eriksen, who lead after the first day with a 4-under, finished in a tie for 11th (68-78-73), while Michael Dart (76-74-72) moved up from 27th into a tied for 18th.
Stratton Schulz (73-75-75) tied for 21st and Corey Eccles, who shot a two-under 70 Wednesday, moved up to a tied for 27th after starting the day in a tie for 41st.
Casper was also named first-team all conference.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- UVU wrestling: Utah Valley’s Rauser...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley travels to play...
- Braun scores 34 points; Grand Canyon beats...
- James 'Iron Cowboy' Lawrence speaks to UVU...
- College wrestling: Utah Valley opens trip...
- UVU wrestling: Forfeit dooms UVU in 27-19...
- UVU basketball: Utah Valley falls 99-88 at...
- Report: Higher starting wages part of... 2
- Grand Canyon on the rise, on and off... 0
- UVU softball: Utah Valley drops... 0
- UVU baseball: Wolverines hold off WAC... 0
- UVU softball: Utah Valley drops series... 0
- UVU baseball: Seattle U clinches series... 0
- UVU golf: Wolverines finish third,... 0
- BYU baseball: game at Utah Valley... 0