Matt Powers, Deseret News
KEARNS — A youth baseball team lost its main source of income after someone broke into its snack shack and stole all of the candy and money inside.
On April 29, police believe someone used a sledgehammer to break through a concrete wall of the snack shack on the Beehive Field of the Oquirrh Park Triplex near 5200 West and 5600 South. They got away with $400 in candy and $85 in cash.
The mess left behind was discovered Tuesday afternoon during a routine checkup, according to police.
The snack shack was boarded up Tuesday, and the 4- to 12-year-old baseball players were crushed.
"I was just sad, and mad, too," said Jordon Dolato, a member of the team.
Jordon's mother, Ashley Dolato, said the game is everything to the boy.
"When he gets home from school, he puts his baseball uniform on," she said.
The snack shack is how the teams make money to pay umpires for the games, according to Andy Curtis, president of the Kearns Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken League. Last year, the teams paid about $10,000 in umpire fees.
The money also pays for equipment — about $7,000 worth of helmets, bats and baseballs.
While Salt Lake County will fix the wall, the nonprofit, volunteer-run league will have to pay to fix the refrigerator that was damaged and will need to replace the items that were stolen, which could add up to $1,000, Curtis said. The league does not have that kind of money saved up, he said.
The league hopes to recoup the loss with the support of the community. The league is inviting everyone to come to the snack shack, get dinner and enjoy a baseball game or two.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Interior secretary promised no surprise new...
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 37
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 23
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18