Pac-12 football coaches reportedly will discuss move to 8-game schedule this week
Reed Saxon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Pac-12 football coaches are expected to discuss the possibility of eliminating one conference game from their annual schedules, according to CBSSports.com.
Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com reports that scheduling will be one of the items discussed during a coaches meeting this week.
Currently, Pac-12 teams play nine conference games and three nonconference games per season, excluding bowl games.
Part of the justification for eliminating a conference game would be to help Pac-12 teams stay competitive for a spot in a big bowl game by allowing teams more control over their schedules. The SEC, which has produced a national champion for six consecutive years, currently uses an eight-game conference model.
A move to an eight-game model, however, would not be without roadblocks. The Pac-12 Networks, which carry most of the conference games, would lose a significant amount of content. And a reduced conference schedule could potentially decrease the value of future television contracts.
The Big Ten is increasing its conference schedule to nine games starting in 2016, while the ACC has been back and forth about a possible increase in conference games. With the formation of an SEC network channel, there is pressure on SEC coaches to play more conference games.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- BYU football notebook: Ankle injuries galore...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 43
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23