Pac-12 football coaches reportedly will discuss move to 8-game schedule this week
Reed Saxon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Pac-12 football coaches are expected to discuss the possibility of eliminating one conference game from their annual schedules, according to CBSSports.com.
Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com reports that scheduling will be one of the items discussed during a coaches meeting this week.
Currently, Pac-12 teams play nine conference games and three nonconference games per season, excluding bowl games.
Part of the justification for eliminating a conference game would be to help Pac-12 teams stay competitive for a spot in a big bowl game by allowing teams more control over their schedules. The SEC, which has produced a national champion for six consecutive years, currently uses an eight-game conference model.
A move to an eight-game model, however, would not be without roadblocks. The Pac-12 Networks, which carry most of the conference games, would lose a significant amount of content. And a reduced conference schedule could potentially decrease the value of future television contracts.
The Big Ten is increasing its conference schedule to nine games starting in 2016, while the ACC has been back and forth about a possible increase in conference games. With the formation of an SEC network channel, there is pressure on SEC coaches to play more conference games.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 90
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 56
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 38
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30