Pac-12 football coaches reportedly will discuss move to 8-game schedule this week
Reed Saxon, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Pac-12 football coaches are expected to discuss the possibility of eliminating one conference game from their annual schedules, according to CBSSports.com.
Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com reports that scheduling will be one of the items discussed during a coaches meeting this week.
Currently, Pac-12 teams play nine conference games and three nonconference games per season, excluding bowl games.
Part of the justification for eliminating a conference game would be to help Pac-12 teams stay competitive for a spot in a big bowl game by allowing teams more control over their schedules. The SEC, which has produced a national champion for six consecutive years, currently uses an eight-game conference model.
A move to an eight-game model, however, would not be without roadblocks. The Pac-12 Networks, which carry most of the conference games, would lose a significant amount of content. And a reduced conference schedule could potentially decrease the value of future television contracts.
The Big Ten is increasing its conference schedule to nine games starting in 2016, while the ACC has been back and forth about a possible increase in conference games. With the formation of an SEC network channel, there is pressure on SEC coaches to play more conference games.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- NFL playoff picture: Can the Lions, with...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30