Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21