Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may have just...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Key witness in criminal cases against...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may... 54
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17