Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8