Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 29
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17