Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12