Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Officials tackling existing, expected...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 49
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15