Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Police investigating shooting death in SLC
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- BYU makes clear there are 3 exceptions... 63
- Romney says climate change presents a... 35
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18