Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Living — or dying — with...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 260
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 97
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 87
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 68
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 61
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 53
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35