Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24