Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 22
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 14