Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- Midvale teen ran over mom with car after...
- Audit reveals flawed projections on Utah's...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- Provo police offering reward for information...
- Testimony focuses on relationship between...
- Fire destroys Heber City home, kills animals
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 94
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 19
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 12
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake... 10