Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 47
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 36
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13