Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13