Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Troopers identify Colorado man as victim of...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6