Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9