Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- Students dress in Sunday best to honor young...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Veterans Day 'mystery soldier' not anonymous...
- Woman killed in Eagle Mountain concrete accident
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 50
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 31
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 24
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 19