Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 37
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 19
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14