Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Photos: World record potentially set during...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 27
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21