Tooele man killed in crash on I-80 with UDOT vehicle
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
MAGNA — A Tooele man was killed Wednesday after investigators say he apparently drove into a Utah Department of Transportation vehicle parked off to the side of the road.
About 9:30 a.m., an Audi traveling west on I-80 near 7200 West crashed into the back of a UDOT truck, said Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson.
A UDOT crew had pulled off the freeway to spray weeds. Their truck was in the left shoulder and partially sticking out in the far left lane, Johnson said. The truck had overhead lights on and a flashing arrow directing traffic to move over.
The driver of the Audi, Todd Stephens, 35, died from injuries sustained in the crash. Johnson said he was not wearing a seat belt. The UDOT workers were not injured.
Investigators were still looking Wednesday into why Stephens apparently didn't see or didn't move over enough for the truck.
The westbound lanes of the freeway were closed for about 2 ½ hours while troopers investigated.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 39
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 24
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11