DUTCH JOHN, Daggett County — The search for a Wyoming man missing since Sunday at Flaming Gorge Reservoir has become more focused, now that his boat has been found.
Danny Angelo Durante's boat was found late Tuesday afternoon in about 100 feet of water, according to a statement Wednesday from the Daggett County Sheriff's Office.
"Recovery (of the boat) is not planned at this time as the search continues to focus on the missing occupant," the statement said.
Durante, 46, of Jackson, Wyo., was apparently alone when his boat capsized due to extremely poor weather conditions on Sunday afternoon. A group of boaters spotted the partially submerged craft in the Jug Hollow area and reported it to the sheriff's office about 5:45 p.m. that day.
The boat sank, but searchers found items from the vessel floating on the water, which gave them a general area to begin looking for Durante, sheriff's spokeswoman Susie Potter said Wednesday.
"With the location of the boat the searchers will be able to focus the search area, according to the current patterns," Potter said, noting that high winds have hampered the search effort all week.
Daggett County is being aided in the search by the state Department of Public Safety dive team, and personnel from Utah State Parks and the state Division of Wildlife Resources. Search and rescue teams from Summit and Uintah counties and Sweetwater County, Wyo., are also lending assistance.
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Protest ride results in charges against...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 38
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 24
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18