PROVO, Utah — BYU’s No. 39 ranked men’s tennis team received an at-large bid to the 2013 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championships on Tuesday.
The Cougars (21-6) will play a first round match against Memphis (14-7) on Friday, May 10, in Oxford, Miss. The other first round match has Ole Miss (15-8) hosting Lehigh (18-5) with the winners advancing to the second round on Saturday.
BYU finished the 2012-13 campaign in second place in the West Coast Conference with a 7-1 mark. Last weekend the Cougars advanced to the finals of the league championship, narrowly losing to No. 8 ranked Pepperdine, 4-3.
“We’re excited that we can continue our season and have the opportunity to represent the university in Mississippi,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We are looking forward to learning about these teams and I know our team will be prepared and will step up to the challenge.”
This marks the fourth time the BYU team has competed in the postseason tournament under coach Brad Pearce.
In this year’s 64-team championship, the Cougars have played six of the team’s invited, compiling a 4-4 record against them.
BYU is one of three teams from the WCC that was invited to compete in this year’s tournament. Pepperdine received the automatic bid, with San Diego receiving an at-large invitation.
The last time the Cougars competed in the NCAA Championships was during the 2010-11 season where they fell to San Diego State in the first round.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at email@example.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21