PROVO, Utah — BYU’s No. 39 ranked men’s tennis team received an at-large bid to the 2013 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championships on Tuesday.
The Cougars (21-6) will play a first round match against Memphis (14-7) on Friday, May 10, in Oxford, Miss. The other first round match has Ole Miss (15-8) hosting Lehigh (18-5) with the winners advancing to the second round on Saturday.
BYU finished the 2012-13 campaign in second place in the West Coast Conference with a 7-1 mark. Last weekend the Cougars advanced to the finals of the league championship, narrowly losing to No. 8 ranked Pepperdine, 4-3.
“We’re excited that we can continue our season and have the opportunity to represent the university in Mississippi,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We are looking forward to learning about these teams and I know our team will be prepared and will step up to the challenge.”
This marks the fourth time the BYU team has competed in the postseason tournament under coach Brad Pearce.
In this year’s 64-team championship, the Cougars have played six of the team’s invited, compiling a 4-4 record against them.
BYU is one of three teams from the WCC that was invited to compete in this year’s tournament. Pepperdine received the automatic bid, with San Diego receiving an at-large invitation.
The last time the Cougars competed in the NCAA Championships was during the 2010-11 season where they fell to San Diego State in the first round.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at email@example.com
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 83
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 29
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20