PROVO, Utah — BYU’s No. 39 ranked men’s tennis team received an at-large bid to the 2013 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championships on Tuesday.
The Cougars (21-6) will play a first round match against Memphis (14-7) on Friday, May 10, in Oxford, Miss. The other first round match has Ole Miss (15-8) hosting Lehigh (18-5) with the winners advancing to the second round on Saturday.
BYU finished the 2012-13 campaign in second place in the West Coast Conference with a 7-1 mark. Last weekend the Cougars advanced to the finals of the league championship, narrowly losing to No. 8 ranked Pepperdine, 4-3.
“We’re excited that we can continue our season and have the opportunity to represent the university in Mississippi,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We are looking forward to learning about these teams and I know our team will be prepared and will step up to the challenge.”
This marks the fourth time the BYU team has competed in the postseason tournament under coach Brad Pearce.
In this year’s 64-team championship, the Cougars have played six of the team’s invited, compiling a 4-4 record against them.
BYU is one of three teams from the WCC that was invited to compete in this year’s tournament. Pepperdine received the automatic bid, with San Diego receiving an at-large invitation.
The last time the Cougars competed in the NCAA Championships was during the 2010-11 season where they fell to San Diego State in the first round.
Norma Collett is the athletic communications director for the BYU women's basketball team. She can be reached at 801-422-4908 or at email@example.com
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 16
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8