BYU track: Cougar women's track and field athletes gear up for Weber State Twilight
PROVO, Utah — Several athletes on the BYU women’s track and field team head to Ogden on Wednesday to participate in the Weber State Twilight, one of the final competitions for athletes to qualify for the ECAC Conference Championships and the NCAA West Regionals.
“There are several athletes on the team who are so close to qualifying for some of the final meets,” BYU coach Patrick Shane said. “The Weber State Twilight will be a important tune-up meet for them. It will also be a great opportunity for those who have qualified to run in off events they are not used to competing in.”
Top athletes for BYU expected to participate in Ogden include Nicole Rudd Bringhurst, Rachel Fisher, Aubrey Hale and Deezbaa Whaley.
Bringhurst last competed in the 400 meters during last week’s Robison Invitational. She finished second with a new personal-best time of 55.01 seconds. She now ranks 10th on the BYU all-time record board in the 400. Bringhurst also helped the 4x400-meter relay team to a first-place finish with a BYU season-best time of 3:42.46. In addition to the 400, Bringhurst will compete in the 200 meters.
Fisher, who also competed last week at the Robison Invitational with a season-best mark, cleared 4.01m to finish first in the pole vault. This was the first time Fisher has cleared the 4.00-meter mark during the outdoor season this year.
Hale, who will also compete in the 200 meters and the 4x100-meter relay, ran an 11.89 time in the 100-meter final to finish second. This marks the second time this season Hale has raced under 12.00.
Whaley is coming off a first-place finish in the discus (46.90m) and a fourth-place finish in the hammer throw (54.68m) during the Robison Invitational. She is set to compete again in the discus and hammer throw this weekend in Ogden.
The Weber State Twilight begins Wednesday with the women’s javelin at 2 p.m. MDT followed by the women’s discus at 3 p.m. MDT.
More information about the meet schedule can be found on the Weber State athletics website.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com,
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 113
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 43
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 19
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18