USU football: Kellen Bartlett invited to Chicago Bears rookie minicamp
Former Utah State tight end Kellen Bartlett has been invited to the Chicago Bears rookie minicamp, it was announced Monday.
Bartlett becomes the sixth Utah State football player from the 2012 Western Athletic Conference championship team to move on to the NFL as cornerback Will Davis was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the third round (93rd pick) of the 2013 NFL Draft and running back Kerwynn Williams was drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the seventh round (230th pick). Wide receiver Matt Austin signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks, defensive lineman Al Lapuaho signed a free agent contract with the St. Louis Rams and wide receiver Chuck Jacobs signed a free agent contract with the San Francisco 49ers.
Bartlett, a 6-foot-2, 248-pounder from Blue Springs, Mo. (Blue Springs South HS), earned honorable mention all-WAC honors in 2012 as he finished the season with 38 receptions for 272 yards (20.9 ypg) and five touchdown catches, which ranked tied for first on the team. Overall, his five touchdown receptions ranked first in the WAC among tight ends, while his 38 receptions ranked second and his 272 receiving yards ranked third. As a senior, Bartlett caught touchdown passes in four-straight games, which was the longest streak for a Utah State player since 2005.
During his four years at Utah State, Bartlett played in 43 games and caught 63 passes for 581 yards (9.2 ypr) and eight touchdowns. As a sophomore in 2010, he caught five passes for a career-high 121 yards against Nevada, including a career-long 63-yard catch, for USU’s only 100-yard receiving outing that season. As a senior in 2012, he caught a career-high eight passes for 47 yards, including a 4-yard touchdown reception against Utah.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16