Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
PORTLAND — Utah Valley University pitcher Tiffany Mills was named Pacific Coast Softball Conference Pitcher of the Week after a pair of dominant wins last weekend. The award is her second of the season as she also garnered the year's first award on Feb. 13.
The Riverside, Calif., native was almost untouchable in two starts during UVU's 4-0 sweep of league-foe Santa Clara. Between her two outings, she combined to allow just one earned run on six hits while striking out nine more. She went the distance in both games, finishing the weekend with a 0.58 ERA.
In game one, the Wolverines cruised to a 9-1 victory and earned the win in just five innings. A run in the third inning was all the Broncos would muster, and that would be the only run scored against Mills for the series. Mills went on to blank SCU in the third game of the series as UVU grabbed a 5-0 win.
For the season, Mills holds a 15-11 record and 1.87 ERA. She also leads the team in innings pitched (172.1) and strikeouts (130).
Mills also became the all-time wins leader for Wolverine softball earlier this season, picking up her 30th career win in a 6-4 victory over BYU. She has 33 total wins for her career.
Utah Valley has a busy week on tap, playing seven contests over the next six days. The week gets underway with a 2 p.m. doubleheader against non-league, but in-state, rival Weber State in Orem on Tuesday and continues with a trip to Idaho State on Wednesday. The Wolverines then travel to Los Angeles on Saturday to face Loyola Marymount in their final conference series of the season.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27