Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
PORTLAND — Utah Valley University pitcher Tiffany Mills was named Pacific Coast Softball Conference Pitcher of the Week after a pair of dominant wins last weekend. The award is her second of the season as she also garnered the year's first award on Feb. 13.
The Riverside, Calif., native was almost untouchable in two starts during UVU's 4-0 sweep of league-foe Santa Clara. Between her two outings, she combined to allow just one earned run on six hits while striking out nine more. She went the distance in both games, finishing the weekend with a 0.58 ERA.
In game one, the Wolverines cruised to a 9-1 victory and earned the win in just five innings. A run in the third inning was all the Broncos would muster, and that would be the only run scored against Mills for the series. Mills went on to blank SCU in the third game of the series as UVU grabbed a 5-0 win.
For the season, Mills holds a 15-11 record and 1.87 ERA. She also leads the team in innings pitched (172.1) and strikeouts (130).
Mills also became the all-time wins leader for Wolverine softball earlier this season, picking up her 30th career win in a 6-4 victory over BYU. She has 33 total wins for her career.
Utah Valley has a busy week on tap, playing seven contests over the next six days. The week gets underway with a 2 p.m. doubleheader against non-league, but in-state, rival Weber State in Orem on Tuesday and continues with a trip to Idaho State on Wednesday. The Wolverines then travel to Los Angeles on Saturday to face Loyola Marymount in their final conference series of the season.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33