USU golf: Aggies head to Las Vegas for 2013 WAC Golf Championships
Utah State's men's golf team travels to Las Vegas, Nev., this week to compete in the 2013 Club Glove Western Athletic Conference Championship set to begin on Monday, April 29.
Teams will play a total of 54 holes during the three-day tournament with the first round scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. (PT). The tournament will be played at the Rio Secco Golf Club, which is a par-72 course measuring 7,332 yards.
Utah State is one of 10 teams competing for the WAC Championship, and the winner will secure a spot in one of three NCAA Regional Championships. USU finished eighth at last year's championship held at the Rio Secco Golf Club, while San Jose State finished first.
Competing for the Aggies will be seniors Brendan Dennis (Roosevelt, Utah) and Kris Sayer (Idaho Falls, Idaho), junior Tanner Higham (Shelley, Idaho), and freshmen Seokwon Jeon (Salt Lake City, Utah) and Reed Platke (Whitefish, Mont.).
Utah State, which is paired with Seattle, will be the last two teams to tee off beginning at 9:40 a.m. (PT).
Utah State has participated in five tournaments thus far this spring as it finished tied for sixth at the Southern Utah hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational, while also placing sixth at the Cal State Fullerton hosted Folino Invitational, eighth at the Cal Poly hosted Match Play Championships and 22nd at the Wyoming hosted Cowboy Classic in Scottsdale, Ariz. In its last competition, USU finished seventh at the BYU hosted PING Cougar Classic.
Higham currently leads Utah State with a stroke average of 73.40 in 25 rounds, followed by Jeon (74.68), Platke (75.32), Dennis (76.82) and Sayer (76.95).
Of Utah State's five golfers scheduled to compete at this year's WAC Championships, Higham is the only Aggie who played at last year's event as he finished tied for eighth with a 5-over 221 (68-77-76). Higham also competed in the 2010 WAC Championships as a freshman and finished 42nd with an 18-over 234 (77-76-81). Dennis was USU’s top finisher at the 2011 WAC Championships as he finished tied for 32nd place with an 18-over 234 (74-81-79).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 87
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 53
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28