USU golf: Aggies head to Las Vegas for 2013 WAC Golf Championships
Utah State's men's golf team travels to Las Vegas, Nev., this week to compete in the 2013 Club Glove Western Athletic Conference Championship set to begin on Monday, April 29.
Teams will play a total of 54 holes during the three-day tournament with the first round scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. (PT). The tournament will be played at the Rio Secco Golf Club, which is a par-72 course measuring 7,332 yards.
Utah State is one of 10 teams competing for the WAC Championship, and the winner will secure a spot in one of three NCAA Regional Championships. USU finished eighth at last year's championship held at the Rio Secco Golf Club, while San Jose State finished first.
Competing for the Aggies will be seniors Brendan Dennis (Roosevelt, Utah) and Kris Sayer (Idaho Falls, Idaho), junior Tanner Higham (Shelley, Idaho), and freshmen Seokwon Jeon (Salt Lake City, Utah) and Reed Platke (Whitefish, Mont.).
Utah State, which is paired with Seattle, will be the last two teams to tee off beginning at 9:40 a.m. (PT).
Utah State has participated in five tournaments thus far this spring as it finished tied for sixth at the Southern Utah hosted Pat Hicks Thunderbird Invitational, while also placing sixth at the Cal State Fullerton hosted Folino Invitational, eighth at the Cal Poly hosted Match Play Championships and 22nd at the Wyoming hosted Cowboy Classic in Scottsdale, Ariz. In its last competition, USU finished seventh at the BYU hosted PING Cougar Classic.
Higham currently leads Utah State with a stroke average of 73.40 in 25 rounds, followed by Jeon (74.68), Platke (75.32), Dennis (76.82) and Sayer (76.95).
Of Utah State's five golfers scheduled to compete at this year's WAC Championships, Higham is the only Aggie who played at last year's event as he finished tied for eighth with a 5-over 221 (68-77-76). Higham also competed in the 2010 WAC Championships as a freshman and finished 42nd with an 18-over 234 (77-76-81). Dennis was USU’s top finisher at the 2011 WAC Championships as he finished tied for 32nd place with an 18-over 234 (74-81-79).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25