UVU softball: Pitching shines as UVU completes sweep of Santa Clara
A trio of SCU errors aided the Wolverine cause in the third inning, each coming with two outs. After singling and stealing second base, Kylee Brinkerhoff stood in scoring position with two down and Charlee Cisneros sent a sharply hit groundball that skipped between the legs of Bronco second baseman Jensen. Brinkerhoff came around to score on the play, putting UVU in front 3-1. In the very next at-bat, Williams lifted a low line drive into center field. Charging forward, Rochelle Rivera attempted a basket catch but saw the ball carom off her glove. The miscue allowed Cisneros to reach third base from first, but as Rivera scrambled to return the ball to the infield, her throw sailed past third base. Cisneros capitalized on the play's second error, coming home to establish the final score line.
Fox and Williams were the only Wolverines to produce a multi-hit ballgame in game two, going 2-for-4 and 2-for-3, respectively.
Sunday was Senior Day for UVU softball, as five Wolverines were honored before the game. Kylee Brinkerhoff, Charlee Cisneros, Krystin Jachim, Tiffany Mills and Marie Williams were recognized for their contribution to the program. As a unit, the four senior position players combined for seven hits on the day.
Utah Valley breaks from league play next week with a pair of opponents from the Big Sky Conference. The Wolverines host Weber State in a doubleheader Tuesday in Orem beginning at 4 p.m., then travel to Idaho State for another 4 p.m. tilt Wednesday. The final PCSC series of the season for UVU begins Saturday in Los Angeles when the Wolverines face Loyola Marymount.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19