Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PARLEYS CANYON — A West Valley City man was killed Sunday after running his pickup truck into the back of a semitrailer in Parleys Canyon.
Winston S. Craig, 29, was pulling a U-Haul trailer and according to witnesses was driving erratically and at a high speed when he came upon a semitrailer traveling slowly in the far right lane, Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Mike Loveland said.
"We haven't determined the exact speed yet but, from the markings we see and the reports from drivers on the road, we do know he was going way too fast," Loveland said.
The collision occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m. Craig was pronounced dead at the scene.
There are several steep grades on the highway and the UHP advises heavily loaded vehicles to stay in the right lane and use lower gears as they descend the canyon.
A semi, owned by Texas-based Steven's Trucking, was hauling 42,000 pounds of dry freight and going about 22 mph with its hazard lights on when the pickup ran into it, according to the UHP
"One witness was traveling in the center lane and said Craig passed him in the right lane," according to the UHP. "He said Craig did not appear to see or notice the semi until the very last moment, when Craig swerved partially onto the right shoulder just prior to impact."
Loveland said alcohol or another impairment may have played a role in the crash but that has not been confirmed. "We suspect impairment until we prove otherwise and it does sound like he had some impairment," he said.
Craig was the sole occupant of the truck. The semi driver and his passenger were not injured.
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 140
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 105
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 37
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35