Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
PARLEYS CANYON — A West Valley City man was killed Sunday after running his pickup truck into the back of a semitrailer in Parleys Canyon.
Winston S. Craig, 29, was pulling a U-Haul trailer and according to witnesses was driving erratically and at a high speed when he came upon a semitrailer traveling slowly in the far right lane, Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Mike Loveland said.
"We haven't determined the exact speed yet but, from the markings we see and the reports from drivers on the road, we do know he was going way too fast," Loveland said.
The collision occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m. Craig was pronounced dead at the scene.
There are several steep grades on the highway and the UHP advises heavily loaded vehicles to stay in the right lane and use lower gears as they descend the canyon.
A semi, owned by Texas-based Steven's Trucking, was hauling 42,000 pounds of dry freight and going about 22 mph with its hazard lights on when the pickup ran into it, according to the UHP
"One witness was traveling in the center lane and said Craig passed him in the right lane," according to the UHP. "He said Craig did not appear to see or notice the semi until the very last moment, when Craig swerved partially onto the right shoulder just prior to impact."
Loveland said alcohol or another impairment may have played a role in the crash but that has not been confirmed. "We suspect impairment until we prove otherwise and it does sound like he had some impairment," he said.
Craig was the sole occupant of the truck. The semi driver and his passenger were not injured.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11