OREM, Utah - Utah Valley University got a walk-off hit from Riley White to secure a 3-2 win in game one of a doubleheader before winning a slugfest, 15-8, to sweep the twin bill from Chicago State.
White’s hit, over the head of Joelh Calixto in left, scored Willie Pratt from third to end the seven-inning contest. With the score tied at 2-2, Pratt and Jordy Hart both singled to begin the seventh and then moved up on a sacrifice bunt by Stone Ramsey before White’s game-winner.
Early on, the Wolverines (16-21, 7-3) scored twice with a pair of two-out singles in the third inning. Kade Andrus had a base hit to left, scoring Beau Kallas to put UVU on the board. Andrus stole second and scored on a base hit by Kai Hatch through the right side.
The score remained 2-0 with Wolverine starter Devin Nelson controlling the Chicago State lineup into the sixth inning. He kept the Cougars (6-29, 3-12) off the board and struck out seven through 5.1 innings when Calixto blooped a fly ball into left-center. Andrus and Kallas both came hard for the ball and collided, allowing Calixto to go all the way around for a rare inside the park home run. It was the only run Nelson was charged for.
It was 2-1 in the seventh, with Nelson in line for the victory, before a two-out error allowed Daniel Mazurkiewicz to score the tying run, setting up the bottom of the seventh.
Krueger had two doubles and Kallas also doubled for three of UVU’s eight hits. Jeff Barto (2-0) picked up the win for Utah Valley with Andrew Wellwerts (2-7) going the distance and taking the loss for CSU.
In the second game, Utah Valley raced out to a 9-0 lead, scoring once in the first, twice in the second and six times in the third with Jordy Hart delivering a grand slam in the big frame.
Ramsey led off the bottom of the first with a triple and scored, and after a two-run single in the second, followed Hart’s slam with his second triple of the game. He finished 3-for-6 with three RBIs and two runs scored.
The Cougars raced back with a seven-run fourth to make it a game before the Wolverines pulled away with runs in three of their final four frames.
Pratt went 2-for-2 and scored four times with White equaling Ramsey with three RBIs. Krueger and Colby Croft each had two hits for Utah Valley. Justin Campbell pitched 4.2 innings in relief and was credited with the win.
Calixto had four of Chicago State’s 14 hits in game two. James Tucker (2-4) took the loss on the mound for the Cougars.
The series concludes Sunday at 1 p.m. with UVU looking to complete the four-game sweep in the Great West Conference series.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 51
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 45