BYU rugby: Cougars advance to eighth straight national title match with win over CWU
"I thought CWU played very well in the first half," BYU head coach David Smyth said. "They really had us on the back foot for long periods of time. They were able to disrupt our set pieces as well. But when we were able to maintain possession and set a better platform from which to release our backs, I thought we were pretty dangerous and did some nice things."
The Cougars now move on to the Varsity Cup National Championship game next Saturday, May 4 at 1 p.m., which is set to be hosted at BYU South Field Stadium.
BYU will face a familiar foe in the title match as perennial champion California beat the Navy Midshipmen on Saturday in Berkeley, 74-6.
Of the eight straight championship bouts the Cougars have played in, seven of them have come against the Golden Bears from Cal.
BYU and Cal last met in 2011 in the national championship at Rio Tinto Stadium with the Bears coming up victors 21-14 in a hotly contested affair.
Saturday's title tilt between the Bears and the Cougars will be a series of firsts with BYU hosting the national championship for the first time in the history of the program, while also being the first time the Bears have traveled to Provo in postseason play.
Tickets for Saturday's championship clash are available for advance purchase at BYUTickets.com.
BYU 1st XV
David Collins (David Williams 48′)
Ishmael Tilialo (Scott Gowdy 45')
Dan Hubert (Braden Bair 56')
Kody Thompson (Jeff Ott 73')
Ryan Roundy (c)
Luke Mocke (Inoke Funaki 75′)
Jonny Linehan (Lelann Latu 70')
Seki Kofe (Andrew Carver 70′)
CWU 1st XV
BYU: 53 TRIES: Taylor 6'; Wernli 30', 44'; Tilialo 37'; Mocke 51', 65'; Kofe 53'; Roundy 75'; CONVERSIONS: Linehan 5/7; Lasike 0/1; PENALTIES: Linehan 1/2 (56')
CWU: 8 TRIES: Wanigasekera 11'; Bower 22'; CONVERSIONS: Reher 1/2; PENALTIES: Reher 1/1 (15')
The BYU Rugby program is one of the school's most winning sports teams with just 19 losses in more than 20 years. BYU Rugby won the 2009 and 2012 Collegiate National Championship & has promoted 40 All-Americans. For more go to byurugby.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16