SALT LAKE CITY — Separate crashes on Saturday less than an hour apart left two women with injuries.
The Utah Highway Patrol is investigating both accidents, which appeared to happen for inexplicable reasons.
In the first accident at 12:35 p.m., a woman driving on the south belt of I-215 near 280 East suffered head injuries in a single-vehicle rollover. For some reason, the driver lost control of the car, which slid partway through the median and then veered back to the right. The car then spun out of control as it traveled across all three lanes before hitting a support post for an overhead exit sign.
The woman, who was not wearing a seat belt, was taken to an area hospital for treatment.
About 35 minutes later, a woman driving a compact car was headed west on state Route 201 and maneuvered her car into the turn lane to go south on 7200 South.
The highway patrol said that for some reason, the car blew through a red light and was struck by a pickup truck. The impact sent that truck off the road and caused it to roll before it landed on its top. Another pickup truck also struck the woman's car in a glancing collision. Debris from the crashes struck another car at the intersection damaging its windshield.
The driver and passenger in the first truck were taken to area hospitals for minor injuries. The woman suffered serious injuries and also was taken to a hospital. The other drivers were uninjured.
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- Wind-fueled fire rips through large Draper home
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an 'uncommon' life...
- Jammed highway lights fire under Arches...
- Koch brothers group launches campaign against...
- Woman, 69, fights off carjacker who then sets...
- Couple arrested in Louisiana for $114K theft...
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 34
- Koch brothers group launches campaign... 30
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 27
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 16