SALT LAKE CITY — Separate crashes on Saturday less than an hour apart left two women with injuries.
The Utah Highway Patrol is investigating both accidents, which appeared to happen for inexplicable reasons.
In the first accident at 12:35 p.m., a woman driving on the south belt of I-215 near 280 East suffered head injuries in a single-vehicle rollover. For some reason, the driver lost control of the car, which slid partway through the median and then veered back to the right. The car then spun out of control as it traveled across all three lanes before hitting a support post for an overhead exit sign.
The woman, who was not wearing a seat belt, was taken to an area hospital for treatment.
About 35 minutes later, a woman driving a compact car was headed west on state Route 201 and maneuvered her car into the turn lane to go south on 7200 South.
The highway patrol said that for some reason, the car blew through a red light and was struck by a pickup truck. The impact sent that truck off the road and caused it to roll before it landed on its top. Another pickup truck also struck the woman's car in a glancing collision. Debris from the crashes struck another car at the intersection damaging its windshield.
The driver and passenger in the first truck were taken to area hospitals for minor injuries. The woman suffered serious injuries and also was taken to a hospital. The other drivers were uninjured.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 14