USU softball: Aggies come up short in 1-0 affair with UT Arlington
In a Western Athletic Conference series that produced only three runs in three games, Utah State softball (10-41, 4- WAC) found itself on the wrong side of another low scoring affair with UT Arlington (21-24, 6-12 WAC) losing its third-straight 1-0 game to the Mavericks as UTA delivered a walk-off double to sink USU and earn a sweep of the series in Saturday’s finale.
Pitching and defense ruled the day once again, as neither team could produce any offensive traction through six innings of play. Senior starting pitcher Mandy Harmon put together another impressive game in the circle that was backed by an impressive defensive effort from her teammates. Harmon worked 6.1 innings Saturday and surrendered only six hits but was tagged with the loss.
The Aggie bats were held in check for most of the day, as they were only able to produce three hits and only had four base runners against Maverick starting pitcher Terry Lyles. Senior infielder Christine Thomsen, sophomore outfielder Jolene Koons and Harmon were the only Utah State players to tally a hit Saturday, none of which were for extra bases.
USU will be back in action in a season finale home weekend WAC series against Texas State. Action will begin with a Friday doubleheader at LaRee and LeGrand Johnson Field. The Aggies will honor their five seniors prior to Friday’s action, with game time scheduled for 2 p.m.
Admission to Johnson Field is free to all fans.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48