USU tennis: men's team concludes season with 4-0 loss to New Mexico State at WAC Tournament on Friday
Utah State men's tennis was taken down by New Mexico State, 4-0, in a battle of the Aggies in the quarterfinal round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament Friday in Denver, Colo. USU ended the season with a regular season record of 7-14 and a WAC record of 2-4.
New Mexico State swept the singles competition. In the No. 3 singles position, Marc Westgate defeated sophomore Matt Sweet in straight sets (6-3, 6-2). In the No. 5 spot, sophomore Marcus Fritz fell to Paul Denele in straight sets (6-2, 6-0), and in the No. 6 spot junior Andrew Whiting was defeated by Patrick Pfister in straight sets (6-2, 6-0). Senior Sven Poslusny, junior Fredrik Peterson and sophomore Curran Wearmouth were left on the courts in unfinished matches.
In doubles action, Sweet and Poslusny fell to Luis Ramirez and Denele, 8-5, in the first position. In the third doubles spot, Peterson and Wearmouth were defeated by Naveen Manivannan and Yannick Blank, 8-2.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer Longson:...
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the latest...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 36
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25