High school baseball: Jared White stars as Riverton completes a three-game sweep of Lone Peak
RIVERTON — Riverton's baseball team wrapped up a key three-game sweep of Lone Peak with a convincing 8-2 win at home Friday. Jared White provided a dominating performance from both the mound and the plate, which didn’t come as a surprise to Riverton coach Jay Applegate.
“He’s been so good all year,” Applegate said. “He’s one of our two best hitters and he’s our leader in RBIs. He has good bat speed and he’s just a big, strong kid.”
White went 3-for-4 from the plate, including a home run in the bottom of the sixth inning. From the mound he allowed just two runs through six innings and struck out 11 batters.
White’s best moment on the mound came during the sixth inning.
After the Silverwolves built a 5-2 lead, the Knights appeared poised to narrow the margin, if not completely close it, with runners on first and third with no outs. White seized the moment, however, and struck out the next three batters.
"His pitch count was getting high, and we were trying to decide if we need to come with another guy," Applegate said. "And all of the sudden his demeanor changed on the mound and he stepped it up."
Riverton added some insurance in the bottom of the sixth — adding three runs on home runs from White and Trevor Peterson.
Lone Peak struck first — scoring two runs with two outs in the top of the fourth, but Riverton immediately responded in the bottom half of the inning. Cam Gust provided an RBI single before Sam Christensen helped execute a perfect squeeze play with a well-placed bunt to tie it up heading into the fifth.
With the win Riverton, moves into a tie with defending state champion American Fork for the lead in ultra-competitive Region 4. The Silverwolves will take on Lehi in a three-game series next week before ending the regular season with another three-game set against the Cavemen.
"We like where we're at — no question," Applegate said. "I think we took a step in the right direction and I think Lone Peak is a solid team. (Lone Peak) outhit us in two of the three games, so to finally get a sweep in this region — we've never done that. So hopefully it's a small step for us going in the right direction."
With the loss Lone Peak drops to 3-6 in region play and will next take on American Fork in a three-game series.
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind this...
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron... 2
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind... 0