When doing family history research, a vital part of the process is evaluating the results of your inquiry and sharing your information with others.
I ask myself the question, "What do I see?" Sometimes what I find is only a clue; other times, it's a gold mine. I record what I learn in my research log. At this point, based on the information I've gathered, I decide where I want to go and start with step one again.
FamilySearch.org encourages as you evaluate your information, consider the following questions:
- Did I find the information I was looking for?
- Is the information complete?
- Does the information conflict with other information I have?
- Is the source of the information credible?
Next, organize your records for easy access.
FamilySearch.org points out that there are "a number of computer programs that can help you organize your records on your home computer." If you are just starting, consider the following tips provided on the website:
- Keep pedigree charts numbered and arranged numerically.
- Keep family group records in alphabetical order by the husband's name.
- Keep notes, research logs and copies of documents behind the related family group record.
Editor's note: The original version of this story posted on April 27, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on March 19, 2014, and attribution to original sources were added. A version of this column also appeared in the print edition of the Deseret News on August 8, 2013. The Deseret News demands accuracy in attribution and sourcing and considers any lapses to be a serious breach of ethics. The Deseret News is no longer publishing Barry J. Ewell's writings.
Barry J. Ewell is author of Family Treasures: 15 Lessons, Tips, and Tricks for Discovering your Family History and founder of MyGenShare.com, an online educational website for genealogy and family history.
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Parishioners hold last service at church...
- LDS missionary who returned home early shares...
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering...
- What's new: 'The Washington Hypothesis'
- New Harmony: The haunting saga of a...
- Why the University of Miami plans to hire a...
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 54
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 49
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 28
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 15
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 12
- Church slaying families accept pursuit... 6