Book review: 'Turning Pages,' by Tristi Pinkston, will delight readers
Tristi Pinkston’s latest book, “Turning Pages,” introduces young adult readers to Addie Preston, a petite young lady whose world revolves around books — reading, sharing and organizing them all the while working toward becoming a librarian at the local library.
In the wake of her father’s death, the library becomes a refuge and quiet reminder of all the times he took her to the children’s reading area. While Addie tries to deal with the grief of losing her father, she is faced with the challenge of a new boss, Blake Hansen, whom she immediately decides she can’t stand, even if he is cute.
To complicate matters, the city council has voted to tear down Addie’s beloved library and build a new one. It seems nobody quite understands the library holds the keys to the magic memories of the time she spent with her father.
What Mormon author Pinkston does so magically is pull the reader into Addie’s mind while touching on all emotions as the story unfolds. One minute Addie is in her own world of setting up her book-of-the-month display. The next she finds herself pretending Blake is her boyfriend (just to get even with a guy who wouldn’t give her a second chance), and the next she is taking the wheel of the monster-size bookmobile — with no fear.
Her independent personality is showcased as she digs her heels in to try and save the original library, an act that finds her in deep trouble with the law. All the while, Blake is there annoying her, and in a crazy way, growing on her too. Each page can have you rooting for Addie as she tries to save the library and replace the hole in her heart with new love. Ultimately, in the end, everyone wins.
This is a fun, clean novel appropriate for girls ages 12 and older. While Pinkston is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, none of the characters or themes in the book are Mormon.
“Turning Pages” will likely make readers want to head to the local library to pick up a classic, check for bolts in the shelves, and see if Addie is there alphabetizing books.
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- LDS leaders quiz: What have you learned from...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- 'A light on the hill': Las Vegas Nevada...
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out of...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 47
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 32
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 22
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 20
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 15
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert... 10
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 8