Stace Hall, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — About 1,800 children from Cedar City, St. George and other southern Utah communities took part in the Bard’s Birthday Bash on Thursday and Friday at Southern Utah University.
The two-day event celebrated William Shakespeare and was meant to attract the next generation of audience members to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, which is held on the SUU campus.
Second-graders took to the Adams Shakespearean Theatre stage in honor of William Shakespeare, who was born at the end of April.
Historians are not certain but believe he was born on April 23, 1564. There are church records of his christening on April 26. He died April 23, 1616.
The children performed scenes from "Much Ado About Nothing." And when you’re very young, romance is so not appealing.
"Basically, in the play, there's Beatrice and I'm, like, getting married to her," said second-grader Jack Mullins, who played Benedict. "But luckily I'm not doing the part where I get married to her. Yuck."
Other children performed scenes from "A Midsummer Night's Dream." But acting can be nerve-wracking.
"My teacher said, 'Just pretend you're in class doing it,'" said Aurora Van Arv, who played Titania, "and I did it, and I wasn't afraid.”
But not all of the children wanted to perform, so they participated as audience members.
Through their performances and observations, the children learned that Shakespeare is a lot easier to understand than they thought.
"It's that connection to Shakespeare's words and stories that make this last their lifetimes,” said Michael Bahr, education director of the Utah Shakespeare Festival.
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- 11,000 gallons of gasoline, butane and...
- Majority of babies are conceived this time of...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 82
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 35
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 14
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 9
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8