Candy Land draws fire for using unhealthy, sexualized body images in its children's board game
An article The Atlantic's website published Thursday raises the question of why the iconic children's board game Candy Land now features characters like Princess Lolly and Queen Frostine who are exceedingly skinny and overtly sexualized.
"When our kids play with toys that we played with, we assume that they are the same as they were when we were younger," Peggy Orenstein wrote for The Atlantic. "But they aren't. Not at all. Our girls (and our boys) are now bombarded from the get-go with images of women whose bodies range from unattainable to implausible (Disney Princesses, anyone?). Toymakers say they are reflecting the changing taste of their demographic. Maybe, but then it's the change that's so disturbing."
Orenstein's piece, titled "Even Candy Land Isn't Safe From Sexy," provides links to scientific research that illustrates disturbing trends such as 6-year-old girls wanting to be sexy, and preschool-aged girls acting out negative body-image stereotypes.
In November, Mandy Morgan penned an article for the Deseret News about the sexualization of girls "happening at a younger and younger age as children, even toddlers, are bombarded with a plethora of adult influences and perceptions."
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- The one joke we make about love may actually...
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Erin Stewart: Are trampolines too... 18
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- 1 in 7 Americans has this kind of marriage 2
- The one joke we make about love may... 2