Candy Land draws fire for using unhealthy, sexualized body images in its children's board game
An article The Atlantic's website published Thursday raises the question of why the iconic children's board game Candy Land now features characters like Princess Lolly and Queen Frostine who are exceedingly skinny and overtly sexualized.
"When our kids play with toys that we played with, we assume that they are the same as they were when we were younger," Peggy Orenstein wrote for The Atlantic. "But they aren't. Not at all. Our girls (and our boys) are now bombarded from the get-go with images of women whose bodies range from unattainable to implausible (Disney Princesses, anyone?). Toymakers say they are reflecting the changing taste of their demographic. Maybe, but then it's the change that's so disturbing."
Orenstein's piece, titled "Even Candy Land Isn't Safe From Sexy," provides links to scientific research that illustrates disturbing trends such as 6-year-old girls wanting to be sexy, and preschool-aged girls acting out negative body-image stereotypes.
In November, Mandy Morgan penned an article for the Deseret News about the sexualization of girls "happening at a younger and younger age as children, even toddlers, are bombarded with a plethora of adult influences and perceptions."
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Best and worst states to have a baby
- 'The Locator' Troy Dunn keeps working to...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- 'Maze Runner,' based on Utah author's novel,...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- The Clean Cut: New 'Simba cam' takes over...
- Why do we love bad movies?
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale... 9
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 7
- Why do Elsa's and Anna's parents have... 6
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be... 4
- These are the new life milestones for... 4
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 4
- 25 ways I know my husband loves me 4