High school baseball: Jackson Peacock, Zac Fuller propel Davis Darts to another win over Fremont
"If it goes, it goes. You go where the baseball takes you and hope it works out. It was just a little outside pitch and I just kinda swung right through it and it went pretty well, so I'm happy about it. (The right fielder) was shading over toward left, and everybody was expecting me to pull the baseball. It came at the right time and it worked out.
"I do what I can and I love the game," Peacock said. "We're playing really well as a team. When it comes down to crunch time, we're able to pull it off, so we've just got to take it one game at a time and keep moving forward."
Fuller allowed just two hits — one in the first and one in the seventh — and struck out 11 batters while walking only three in the complete-game victory.
After Fremont's Trevor Bennett led off the seventh with a single, advanced to second on a groundout and moved to third on an error, Fuller got the next batter to ground out back to the mound, leaving runners at second and third with two outs. He shut the door by striking out the Wolves' final batter.
"I just knew I had to buckle down," Fuller said. "They were all jumping on first-pitch strikes, and I knew with the defense behind me if I just kept throwing 'em, they would pound it into the ground or we'd get a ground ball somewhere. I just had to buckle down at the end."
Fuller laughed about Leo's last-inning visit to the mound.
"The second I saw him coming out of the dugout, I gave him the 'turnaround-and-go-back' sign, but he didn't listen," Fuller said of the Darts' fun-loving coach. "He came out and went, 'Throw strikes — I'm going back (to the dugout).'"
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 109
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 21