TOOELE — Janessa Bassett was 4-for-5 with five stolen bases, Karlee Manzione was 4-for-5 with three RBIs and a double, and Katelyn Robinson was 3-for-3 with four RBIs as the Stansbury Stallions beat their Region 11 rivals, the Tooele Buffaloes, 14-4 Thursday afternoon.
"Confidence was key in our win today," said Manzione. "We came into this game knowing what we had to get done and we executed well."
Stansbury had never beaten its rival heading into this season, but that is no longer the case. Stansbury defeated the Buffaloes by a combined score of 23-4 in their two meetings this season, and has won 17 of 18 games.
"It feels amazing to know that we are playing such good ball right before the state tournament," said Manzione. "Our rivalry will only be stronger from here on out."
Stansbury struck first in the third inning when Beth Chipman reached on an error and drove in Lindsay Guymon. Robinson came up to the plate next and grounded into a fielder's choice that drove in Kilee Christiansen to make it 2-0.
Neither team was able to score again until the top of the fifth inning when Stansbury put five runs across home plate to pull away.
Robinson drove in Bassett to make it 3-1, and Anjalee Batchelor drove in another two batters later to make it 4-1.
Lindsay Guymon drove in Batchelor to make it 7-1, and the Stallions never looked back.
Lauren Frailey hit a three-run home run to cut the Stallion lead to 7-4 in the bottom of the fifth, but the Buffaloes weren't able to score again for the rest of the game.
Manzione drove in three runs with a bases-clearing single to make it 10-4 in the sixth, and Sutherland drove in another run to make it 11-4 a couple batters later.
Robinson drove in her third and fourth runs of the day in the top of the seventh to put the Stallions up 13-4, and Batchelor drove in the final run of the day to make it 14-4.
Stansbury moves to 18-2 overall and 9-1 in Region 11. Tooele drops to 5-15 overall and 4-4 in Region 11.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45