UVU golf: Dougal within striking distance at GWC Championships
SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Utah Valley University senior golfer Jordyn Dougal entered Thursday's second round of the Great West Conference Championship tied for the lead.
Dogual, however, recorded a second-round 6-over par 78 to fall into second, five shots back of Houston Baptist's Kelsey Lou-Hing.
Dougal (81-78) is +15 heading into Friday's final 18 holes at the par-72, 6,239-yard The Dominion Country Club. She is four shots clear of Houston Baptist's Rachel Mulkey, who is in third at +19.
Houston Baptist widen the gap in its quest for a team title by opening up a 13-shot lead after leading by just a shot over UVU and Chicago State after Day 1.
Utah Valley (670) is currently in second place, two shots ahead of Chicago State (672), and University of Texas-Pan American (695) is in fourth.
UVU's Heather Mathison (85-85) and Lynn-Marie Nagel (85-85), who were each tied for fifth after Day 1, are now tied for ninth, while Brooke Bliss (87-84) is in 11th and Kalea Heu (91-86) moved up into a tie for 16th.
Final-day action gets underway at 7 a.m. (MT). Dougal will be in the final group, which tees off at 7:32 a.m. (MT), with Lou-Hing, Chicago State's Andrea Rosado and UTPA's Blake Peterson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44