UVU golf: Dougal within striking distance at GWC Championships
SAN ANTONIO, Texas — Utah Valley University senior golfer Jordyn Dougal entered Thursday's second round of the Great West Conference Championship tied for the lead.
Dogual, however, recorded a second-round 6-over par 78 to fall into second, five shots back of Houston Baptist's Kelsey Lou-Hing.
Dougal (81-78) is +15 heading into Friday's final 18 holes at the par-72, 6,239-yard The Dominion Country Club. She is four shots clear of Houston Baptist's Rachel Mulkey, who is in third at +19.
Houston Baptist widen the gap in its quest for a team title by opening up a 13-shot lead after leading by just a shot over UVU and Chicago State after Day 1.
Utah Valley (670) is currently in second place, two shots ahead of Chicago State (672), and University of Texas-Pan American (695) is in fourth.
UVU's Heather Mathison (85-85) and Lynn-Marie Nagel (85-85), who were each tied for fifth after Day 1, are now tied for ninth, while Brooke Bliss (87-84) is in 11th and Kalea Heu (91-86) moved up into a tie for 16th.
Final-day action gets underway at 7 a.m. (MT). Dougal will be in the final group, which tees off at 7:32 a.m. (MT), with Lou-Hing, Chicago State's Andrea Rosado and UTPA's Blake Peterson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28