Breakfast is supposedly the most important meal of the day, but so many of us are so busy in the morning, we often end up with nothing but coffee and a bad case of the jitters. This Zucchini and Egg Breakfast Burrito is tasty and filling.
What makes this even better is this recipe is healthy and low in fat and calories, plus it will keep you satisfied all morning. Zucchini is full of fiber and other nutrients and gives this dish a boost of fresh flavor.
I love using the uncooked tortillas and making this dish extra fresh by quickly cooking them on a hot skillet before loading them up with heaps of delicious filling. The burrito is also compact, so mix one up and pack it along for the ride to work.
And just because eggs are the main ingredient doesn’t mean this dish can’t be enjoyed for lunch or a light dinner. Add some salsa and you won’t be able to resist this healthy treat.
Belle’s Zucchini Breakfast Burritos
1 cup zucchini, shredded
¼ cup onions, chopped
3 eggs, scrambled
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
4 uncooked flour tortillas
In a fry pan, cook the zucchini and onion in the olive oil for about 2 minutes or until tender. Pour eggs over top and cook while turning the eggs until they are set. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper. Turn to low and cook each tortilla on a hot skillet until slightly browned and puffy. Place each tortilla on a plate and divide the egg filling on each. Sprinkle each with a quarter cup of the cheese. Fold up the sides and top with salsa.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new respect...
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these two...
- Why you shouldn't always punish your children...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- New 'Annie' feels more functional than...
- The Clean Cut: Stuart Edge, Vocal Point,...
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 15
- Black Captain America leading comic... 6
- What did Utahns search for in 2014?... 6
- 'Five Armies' brings the Hobbit trilogy... 4
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down... 3
- 'Dragon Age' tops AP critics' best... 2
- Want a smart kid? Stay away from these... 2
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders... 2