University of Utah breaks ground on new $50.4 million George S. Eccles Student Life Center
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has broken ground on a new $50.4 million student life and recreation facility.
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center, a nearly 190,000-square-foot facility, was funded with the help of gifts from the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation, Kem and Carolyn Gardner, and the University Federal Credit Union. Support for the center also comes from a student-approved bond, U. administration and nonstudent user fees.
The facility will be the campus hub for fitness training, intramural sports and outdoor recreation. It will include a café and numerous study nooks, as well as three pools, five sport courts, 15,000 square feet of cardiovascular and weightlifting space, four fitness studios, a wellness studio and climbing walls.
“With recreational services open year-round, seven days a week, the George S. Eccles Student Life Center will promote a more interactive campus with activities that provide a healthy break from studying," said Barbara H. Snyder, vice president for student affairs. "It will build a stronger campus community through engagement and encourage positive lifelong habits.”
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center was designed by MHTN Architects and Hastings+Chivetta and is projected to open in December 2014.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 11
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8