University of Utah breaks ground on new $50.4 million George S. Eccles Student Life Center
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has broken ground on a new $50.4 million student life and recreation facility.
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center, a nearly 190,000-square-foot facility, was funded with the help of gifts from the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation, Kem and Carolyn Gardner, and the University Federal Credit Union. Support for the center also comes from a student-approved bond, U. administration and nonstudent user fees.
The facility will be the campus hub for fitness training, intramural sports and outdoor recreation. It will include a café and numerous study nooks, as well as three pools, five sport courts, 15,000 square feet of cardiovascular and weightlifting space, four fitness studios, a wellness studio and climbing walls.
“With recreational services open year-round, seven days a week, the George S. Eccles Student Life Center will promote a more interactive campus with activities that provide a healthy break from studying," said Barbara H. Snyder, vice president for student affairs. "It will build a stronger campus community through engagement and encourage positive lifelong habits.”
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center was designed by MHTN Architects and Hastings+Chivetta and is projected to open in December 2014.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Man gets jail time for attempted recruitment...
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14