University of Utah breaks ground on new $50.4 million George S. Eccles Student Life Center
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has broken ground on a new $50.4 million student life and recreation facility.
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center, a nearly 190,000-square-foot facility, was funded with the help of gifts from the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation, Kem and Carolyn Gardner, and the University Federal Credit Union. Support for the center also comes from a student-approved bond, U. administration and nonstudent user fees.
The facility will be the campus hub for fitness training, intramural sports and outdoor recreation. It will include a café and numerous study nooks, as well as three pools, five sport courts, 15,000 square feet of cardiovascular and weightlifting space, four fitness studios, a wellness studio and climbing walls.
“With recreational services open year-round, seven days a week, the George S. Eccles Student Life Center will promote a more interactive campus with activities that provide a healthy break from studying," said Barbara H. Snyder, vice president for student affairs. "It will build a stronger campus community through engagement and encourage positive lifelong habits.”
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center was designed by MHTN Architects and Hastings+Chivetta and is projected to open in December 2014.
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Audit: Drinking water connection requirements...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 28
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15