USU gymnastics: Utah State athletics won't renew contract of head gymnastics coach Jeff Richards
Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Barnes announced Wednesday that Jeff Richards’ contract as head women’s gymnastics coach will not be renewed. A national search to replace Richards will begin immediately.
“We appreciate Jeff’s efforts while at Utah State,” Barnes said. “We will immediately move forward for a new head coach with Dr. Brian Evans, USU associate athletics director for student-athlete services, serving as the chair of the search committee.”
Richards, who is one of just two coaches in the program’s 36-year history, completed his fifth season as Utah State’s head gymnastics coach in 2013 after being hired in 2008. Following the 2011 season, Richards was named the NCAA Division I National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches North Central Region Co-Coach of the Year.
During his tenure at Utah State, Richards compiled an 18-85 (.175) overall record, including a 2-25 (.074) mark in Western Athletic Conference competition. In 2010, Utah State placed third at the WAC Championships, which was its best conference finish in Richards’ five years at the helm.
“I want to thank Utah State University for the opportunity to lead the Aggie gymnastics program for the past five years,” Richards said. “I am extremely proud of the young women who have come through this program during my tenure. They gave everything they had both on the floor and in the classroom, and I’m proud to have been associated with them.”
While at Utah State, Richards coached 18 student-athletes who earned academic all-WAC honors a total of 32 times, while nine gymnasts earned various all-WAC honors 13 times. USU also had 11 student-athletes compete at NCAA Regionals 19 times over the past five years.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26