USU gymnastics: Utah State athletics won't renew contract of head gymnastics coach Jeff Richards
Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Barnes announced Wednesday that Jeff Richards’ contract as head women’s gymnastics coach will not be renewed. A national search to replace Richards will begin immediately.
“We appreciate Jeff’s efforts while at Utah State,” Barnes said. “We will immediately move forward for a new head coach with Dr. Brian Evans, USU associate athletics director for student-athlete services, serving as the chair of the search committee.”
Richards, who is one of just two coaches in the program’s 36-year history, completed his fifth season as Utah State’s head gymnastics coach in 2013 after being hired in 2008. Following the 2011 season, Richards was named the NCAA Division I National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches North Central Region Co-Coach of the Year.
During his tenure at Utah State, Richards compiled an 18-85 (.175) overall record, including a 2-25 (.074) mark in Western Athletic Conference competition. In 2010, Utah State placed third at the WAC Championships, which was its best conference finish in Richards’ five years at the helm.
“I want to thank Utah State University for the opportunity to lead the Aggie gymnastics program for the past five years,” Richards said. “I am extremely proud of the young women who have come through this program during my tenure. They gave everything they had both on the floor and in the classroom, and I’m proud to have been associated with them.”
While at Utah State, Richards coached 18 student-athletes who earned academic all-WAC honors a total of 32 times, while nine gymnasts earned various all-WAC honors 13 times. USU also had 11 student-athletes compete at NCAA Regionals 19 times over the past five years.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 94
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 90
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 76
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 20