If used the wrong way, deal sites cost consumers money rather than offering big savings, according to a Christian Science Monitor article. These are five things to watch out for when using popular sites like Groupon, Woot or Living Social.
All deals from these sites eventually expire. For those who do forget to use it before expiration, some sites offer a refund that could come as credit for a future deal, or some merchants will allow you to use the coupon for the price you actually paid.
When a coupon is especially popular, sometimes the businesses can’t handle the response. In some of these cases they can’t schedule all who bought the coupon to fit in the schedule before expiration. Businesses can choose to increase the time frame, but if they don’t the consumer is out of luck.
Some businesses view couponers as second-class compared to regular customers, according to the article. Let businesses know it is a first-time visit. This may help them treat the couponer better in order to have returning business.
As with all things, it’s important to read the fine print before buying a coupon. Sometimes the deal can only be used at specific places or can only be used for specific things that don’t actually save the customer any money.
Do the homework before buying a coupon. A “deal” may actually not be a deal. Look at the original price as well as competing prices. Advertised savings may only look impressive because the price was inflated 50 percent.
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- The 20 best cities to live in for first-time...
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Vet who simulates homelessness for a month...
- How depression threatens financial well-being
- How to pay off all your student debt with one...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Food stamp use shows continued... 9
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- How to eat on just $4 a day 7
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 5
- A solution to paying that medical bill... 4
- Middle-class shoppers more sensitive to... 1