PROVO — Halfway through the decathlon at the BYU Robison Invitational, Joshua Weirich leads all athletes with a score of 3,836.
“We competed very well today and Josh had the best first day of his life,” head coach Mark Robison said. “I expect we’ll have a good day tomorrow. We just need to stay focused and do well in the discus. I’m confident we’ll have another good day.”
Opening the day at the Clarence F. Robison Track and Field Complex, Weirich took first place in the 100-meter dash and the long jump. In the 100 meters, Weirich scored 817 points with a time of 11.20. He grabbed 809 points in the long jump with a mark of 22-10.75.
Fellow Cougar Chase Dalton ended the day in third place with 3,692 points. Dalton finished in third in the 100 meters, earning 782 points with a time of 11.36. In the long jump, Dalton came in second place with a jump of 22-03.75, netting 767 points.
Dalton took second place in the shot put while Weirich took fourth. Dalton scored 639 points with a throw measuring 41-01.25. Weirich, meanwhile, grabbed 593 points and threw 38-07.75.
In the high jump, Weirich scored 822 points and took a second-place finish while clearing a height of 6-07.50. Dalton took third place in the event with a mark of 6-04.00 that earned him 740 points.
Wrapping up the day with the 400-meter dash, Weirich took second and earned 795 points with a time of 50.42. Dalton finished just behind Weirich in third place, scoring 764 points in 51.12.
The decathlon will resume Thursday at 12 p.m. MDT.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Chase Fischer sets school record for...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School District...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 92
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 60
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 41
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 41
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30