BYU tennis: Cougars men's tennis enters WCC tournament as a No. 2 seed
PROVO, Utah — Entering as the No. 2 seed, the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team received a bye for the first two rounds of the West Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championships in San Diego.
The Cougars (20-5, 7-1 WCC) will face the winner of Thursday's match between the No. 3 seed San Diego and the No. 6 seed Saint Mary's. The winner will play BYU in one of two semifinal matchups on Friday at 12:30 PDT. BYU defeated San Diego earlier this season 4-3 at home. The Cougars also topped Saint Mary's in Provo, 6-1, on March 30.
In doubles play, the two share the court at the No. 1 doubles position and also own a team-high 16 victories in 2013. The duo holds a No. 80 ranking nationally.
The winner of the match will advance to the final round of the tournament.
The winner of the tournament earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
The tournament can be followed on WCC website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39