BYU tennis: Cougars men's tennis enters WCC tournament as a No. 2 seed
PROVO, Utah — Entering as the No. 2 seed, the No. 39 BYU men’s tennis team received a bye for the first two rounds of the West Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Championships in San Diego.
The Cougars (20-5, 7-1 WCC) will face the winner of Thursday's match between the No. 3 seed San Diego and the No. 6 seed Saint Mary's. The winner will play BYU in one of two semifinal matchups on Friday at 12:30 PDT. BYU defeated San Diego earlier this season 4-3 at home. The Cougars also topped Saint Mary's in Provo, 6-1, on March 30.
In doubles play, the two share the court at the No. 1 doubles position and also own a team-high 16 victories in 2013. The duo holds a No. 80 ranking nationally.
The winner of the match will advance to the final round of the tournament.
The winner of the tournament earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
The tournament can be followed on WCC website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 37
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28