Wanted man fled from court, is found hiding in garage
FARMINGTON — A man who police say was wanted in a three-county burglary spree was arrested Wednesday after being spotted in a most unlikely place — court.
Christian Wayne Pyle, 51, was in the parking lot of the 2nd District Court in Farmington when a bailiff recognized him, said Davis County Sheriff's Lt. Susan Poulsen. As the deputy approached Pyle, he ran back to his car and drove off.
Another man who was in the parking lot saw what was happening and decided to follow the suspect, Poulsen said. He followed Pyle into Farmington where Pyle abandoned his vehicle and ran off into a neighborhood.
Farmington Junior High and Farmington Elementary schools were placed on temporary lockdown as a precaution.
As sheriff's deputies and Farmington police surrounded the area, a resident went outside his house to ask what was going on, Poulsen said.
After talking to officers, the resident went into her garage where he was surprised to find the man hiding. When police arrested Pyle, they also found him to be in possession of methamphetamine, Poulsen said.
According to court records, an arrest warrant was issued for Pyle out of 3rd District Court on charges of burglary, theft and criminal mischief on April 8. Pyle's criminal history dates back 25 years for mostly theft, burglary and drug-related convictions and arrests, court records state.
He was presumably at the courthouse for a scheduled hearing on burglary and theft charges from July of 2012.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22