FARMINGTON — A man who police say was wanted in a three-county burglary spree was arrested Wednesday after being spotted in a most unlikely place — court.
Christian Wayne Pyle, 51, was in the parking lot of the 2nd District Court in Farmington when a bailiff recognized him, said Davis County Sheriff's Lt. Susan Poulsen. As the deputy approached Pyle, he ran back to his car and drove off.
Another man who was in the parking lot saw what was happening and decided to follow the suspect, Poulsen said. He followed Pyle into Farmington where Pyle abandoned his vehicle and ran off into a neighborhood.
Farmington Junior High and Farmington Elementary schools were placed on temporary lockdown as a precaution.
As sheriff's deputies and Farmington police surrounded the area, a resident went outside his house to ask what was going on, Poulsen said.
After talking to officers, the resident went into her garage where he was surprised to find the man hiding. When police arrested Pyle, they also found him to be in possession of methamphetamine, Poulsen said.
According to court records, an arrest warrant was issued for Pyle out of 3rd District Court on charges of burglary, theft and criminal mischief on April 8. Pyle's criminal history dates back 25 years for mostly theft, burglary and drug-related convictions and arrests, court records state.
He was presumably at the courthouse for a scheduled hearing on burglary and theft charges from July of 2012.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- Artifact vandalism near Moab a growing problem
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 52
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 27
- Chase with alleged shoplifters ends in... 17
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 17