SALT LAKE CITY — A man who prosecutors say asked Salt Lake City Marathon organizers if he could help set up bombs at the finish line now faces a criminal charge.
George Hodgson Zinn, 59, told investigators "he didn't mean anything" by sending an email to the marketing director of the marathon asking, “I was wondering if you needed anybody to help place bombs near the finish line on Saturday???," according to court documents. But Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said given the level of concern around the country following the bombings at the Boston Marathon that killed three people and injured 170 earlier that week, all allegations are taken seriously.
"There are just things you cannot engage in," he said.
Zinn was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with threat of terrorism, a second degree felony.
Zinn is a political gadfly in Utah. He was been arrested and charged numerous times over the past 20 years in Utah with misdemeanor crimes, mainly trespassing. He was charged in three separate cases alone in April in justice courts for that crime.
Gill acknowledged that Zinn is well-known to law enforcement. Though he declined Wednesday to specifically talk about Zinn's case or whether Zinn actually had explosive devices or intended to obtain explosive devices, he said the allegations had to be taken seriously and the situation would be handled appropriately.
The Salt Lake City Marathon was held Saturday. Law enforcers reported it was one of the smoothest running events they've had in a long time.
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Bill passed by Legislature may mean Utah...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- Woman critically injured after an explosion...
- Caucus meetings this week give public a...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 84
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 76
- British judge hears arguments in case... 68
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29