First 'Man of Steel' tickets will be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart
Clay Enos, Associated Press
For those wanting to see the new Superman movie “Man of Steel” before its “official” release on June 14, there will only be one place to purchase special-engagement tickets: Wal-Mart.
“Wal-Mart, in partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures, will begin selling tickets at 8 a.m. on May 18 to the special showing of the film,” Dawn C. Chmielewski reported Tuesday for the Los Angeles Times. “Customers can purchase as many as four tickets each for the 7 p.m. June 13 screening of the movie at one of 2,379 local theaters.”
The New York Times’ Brooks Barnes wrote, “In an unusual promotional partnership the promotion is designed to fill seats on opening weekend; Warner is counting on extensive in-store advertising and a burst of chatter on social media. Simultaneously, the goal is to send shoppers cascading into the arms of the world’s largest retailer. Warner and Wal-Mart billed the partnership as a Hollywood first."
“Ticket prices will be set around the standard price in theaters near each store,” Ben Fritz reported for The Wall Street Journal. “The retailer won't take a cut of the box-office revenue, said Brent Duwe, Wal-Mart's director of entertainment-property merchandising. It has become increasingly common for Hollywood studios to screen movies the night before their advertised openings. But Wal-Mart and Warner said no studio has sold tickets through a single retailer before.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Photo gallery: Atop One World Trade Center,...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- David Letterman leaves late night with thanks...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to 2013
- Utah State hires Louis Wilson as assistant...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 132
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Obama: Climate change deniers endanger... 24
- Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm running' to... 18
- Obama bans some military-style... 16
- Official says Iraq's 'Ramadi has... 14
- Belfast baker guilty of discrimination... 14
- FTC: Family raised $187 million for... 12