First 'Man of Steel' tickets will be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart
Clay Enos, Associated Press
For those wanting to see the new Superman movie “Man of Steel” before its “official” release on June 14, there will only be one place to purchase special-engagement tickets: Wal-Mart.
“Wal-Mart, in partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures, will begin selling tickets at 8 a.m. on May 18 to the special showing of the film,” Dawn C. Chmielewski reported Tuesday for the Los Angeles Times. “Customers can purchase as many as four tickets each for the 7 p.m. June 13 screening of the movie at one of 2,379 local theaters.”
The New York Times’ Brooks Barnes wrote, “In an unusual promotional partnership the promotion is designed to fill seats on opening weekend; Warner is counting on extensive in-store advertising and a burst of chatter on social media. Simultaneously, the goal is to send shoppers cascading into the arms of the world’s largest retailer. Warner and Wal-Mart billed the partnership as a Hollywood first."
“Ticket prices will be set around the standard price in theaters near each store,” Ben Fritz reported for The Wall Street Journal. “The retailer won't take a cut of the box-office revenue, said Brent Duwe, Wal-Mart's director of entertainment-property merchandising. It has become increasingly common for Hollywood studios to screen movies the night before their advertised openings. But Wal-Mart and Warner said no studio has sold tickets through a single retailer before.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Cleanup on, flood threat looms after huge NY...
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell' in 2016
- 37 homes collapse, dozens injured in...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 37
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 15
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14
- Is saying the Pledge of Allegiance... 14