USU softball: Aggies wrap up homestand with Bengals on Wednesday
Utah State softball (10-37, 4-11 WAC) will take the field Wednesday as it hosts border foe Idaho State in the final game of a seven-game homestand at LaRee and LeGrand Johnson Field. USU has bested the Bengals in two of the three games the teams have played this season. Wednesday's action is set to get underway at 4 p.m., and admission is free to all fans. It will also be Dollar Dog Day at Johnson Field where hot dogs will be a dollar to all in attendance.
The Aggies are coming off a weekend Western Athletic Conference series win over Louisiana Tech as they rallied behind seniors starting pitcher Mandy Harmon and infieilder Christine Thomsen. In the series, Harmon tallied wins in Friday's nightcap, defeating the Lady Techsters 8-4 and followed it up with another winning effort Saturday to down LA Tech, 5-2. The senior pitcher has limited opposing WAC batters to a meager .163 batting average.
Thomsen left her imprint on the series, as the senior batted .727 as she recorded eight hits and scored two runs for her team to help power the offense, which recorded 33 hits in the three-game series.
It was Utah State's second WAC series win of the season and moved them up to the seventh slot in the conference standings.
Following Wednesday's action, USU will travel to Texas for a weekend series WAC showdown with UT Arlington with conference championship implications on the line. Series action is set to get underway with a solo game Friday night, April 26 at 4 p.m. MT. A doubleheader is set to conclude the series with Saturday's opening game getting started at 2 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 49
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29