USU softball: Aggies wrap up homestand with Bengals on Wednesday
Utah State softball (10-37, 4-11 WAC) will take the field Wednesday as it hosts border foe Idaho State in the final game of a seven-game homestand at LaRee and LeGrand Johnson Field. USU has bested the Bengals in two of the three games the teams have played this season. Wednesday's action is set to get underway at 4 p.m., and admission is free to all fans. It will also be Dollar Dog Day at Johnson Field where hot dogs will be a dollar to all in attendance.
The Aggies are coming off a weekend Western Athletic Conference series win over Louisiana Tech as they rallied behind seniors starting pitcher Mandy Harmon and infieilder Christine Thomsen. In the series, Harmon tallied wins in Friday's nightcap, defeating the Lady Techsters 8-4 and followed it up with another winning effort Saturday to down LA Tech, 5-2. The senior pitcher has limited opposing WAC batters to a meager .163 batting average.
Thomsen left her imprint on the series, as the senior batted .727 as she recorded eight hits and scored two runs for her team to help power the offense, which recorded 33 hits in the three-game series.
It was Utah State's second WAC series win of the season and moved them up to the seventh slot in the conference standings.
Following Wednesday's action, USU will travel to Texas for a weekend series WAC showdown with UT Arlington with conference championship implications on the line. Series action is set to get underway with a solo game Friday night, April 26 at 4 p.m. MT. A doubleheader is set to conclude the series with Saturday's opening game getting started at 2 p.m. MT.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33