High school baseball: Stansbury bounces back, beats Ogden 12-2
STANSBURY PARK — The Stansbury Stallions hosted the Ogden Tigers on Tuesday, looking to bounce back from an embarrassing 11-1 loss to Bear River. The Stallions put that game behind them and did just that, dominating the Tigers 12-2. Stansbury scored 10 of its 12 runs in the third inning, crushing three different Ogden pitchers in the process.
"It was a big win for us," said Stansbury shortstop Wyatt Branch. Branch was 2-3 with two BBs and two runs. "We needed it. We didn't come to play against Bear River. We were positive this week, made no errors, got our hits and won the game."
Brek Bentley pitched a complete game for the Stallions, striking out nine and allowing just two runs on three hits and three walks.
"I had a great first two innings," said Bentley. "Then in the third I gave up some hits and a walk, and that was all they needed."
The Stallions were able to jump out to a 1-0 lead in the second inning when Cody Barkdull drove in Bentley with an RBI double, but their lead wouldn't last very long.
In the top of the third, the Tigers picked up all three of their hits and both runs. AJ Anderson started things off with a base hit to center, and a couple batters later Brian Saunders drove him in with an RBI single, also to center field. Victor Cisneros scored after an RBI single from JJ Stein, and the Tigers' offense was over.
After a two-run inning, the Stallions trailed the Tigers 3-1. Then the bats came alive.
Jarrett Anderson drove in Alex Mackay and Brek Bentley with a two RBI single to make it 8-2, and Gage Manzione drove in Cody Barkdull in his second at bat of the inning to make it 9-2.
Nick Mackay had a sacrifice fly that scored Jarrett Anderson, and Jackson Clausing drove in Gage Manzione with a sacrifice fly of his own to score the final run of the inning and make it 11-2.
Clausing drove in Wyatt Branch with an RBI single in the fifth, and the game was over.
Stansbury moves to 14-5 overall and 8-1 in Region 11. Ogden drops to 8-8 overall and 4-6 in Region 11.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow him on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school boys track: Final state meet results
- High school girls track: Final state meet...
- High school boys track: Davis, Orem, Desert...
- High school girls track: Herriman, Panguitch...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0