Shocking cases of cruelty to cats on FrontRunner tracks in Provo
PROVO — Provo police are investigating several cases of animal cruelty involving cats and FrontRunner trains.
Approximately a month ago, investigators found four deceased cats that had been mutilated and tortured in the northwest area of Provo, between Independence Avenue and Geneva Road near the railroad tracks.
“The cats have been bound by tape on their paws, and also they had wire around their neck and there were also some signs of burning on the cats themselves,” said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua. “They are putting the cats on the railroad tracks and having the trains run them over, either decapitating them or cutting them in half.”
A few weeks later, another two cats were found mutilated.
Police said the cats are being deliberately targeted and the suspect may be using a trap to catch cats; at least one of the animals was a family's pet.
Police said those responsible for the animal cruelty could face felony charges and they want to catch the responsible person or people before the behavior turns even more violent.
"What we worry about is an individual who is willing to do this to animals, eventually will progressively get worse, maybe even do this to adults or minor children,” Siufanua said.
The Humane Society of Utah said Tuesday it is offering a $3,000 reward for information that sheds light on the case, according to Carl Arky of the Humane Society.
Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call 801-852-7292.
— Sam Penrod
- 3 men missing nearly 5 months were likely...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- Stolen truck full of $1 million in shoes...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- Are anti-depression drugs as effective in...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 45
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 27
- Dramatic increase in Alzheimer's... 24
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 15