PROVO — Provo police are investigating several cases of animal cruelty involving cats and FrontRunner trains.
Approximately a month ago, investigators found four deceased cats that had been mutilated and tortured in the northwest area of Provo, between Independence Avenue and Geneva Road near the railroad tracks.
“The cats have been bound by tape on their paws, and also they had wire around their neck and there were also some signs of burning on the cats themselves,” said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua. “They are putting the cats on the railroad tracks and having the trains run them over, either decapitating them or cutting them in half.”
A few weeks later, another two cats were found mutilated.
Police said the cats are being deliberately targeted and the suspect may be using a trap to catch cats; at least one of the animals was a family's pet.
Police said those responsible for the animal cruelty could face felony charges and they want to catch the responsible person or people before the behavior turns even more violent.
"What we worry about is an individual who is willing to do this to animals, eventually will progressively get worse, maybe even do this to adults or minor children,” Siufanua said.
The Humane Society of Utah said Tuesday it is offering a $3,000 reward for information that sheds light on the case, according to Carl Arky of the Humane Society.
Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call 801-852-7292.
— Sam Penrod
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11