PROVO — Provo police are investigating several cases of animal cruelty involving cats and FrontRunner trains.
Approximately a month ago, investigators found four deceased cats that had been mutilated and tortured in the northwest area of Provo, between Independence Avenue and Geneva Road near the railroad tracks.
“The cats have been bound by tape on their paws, and also they had wire around their neck and there were also some signs of burning on the cats themselves,” said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua. “They are putting the cats on the railroad tracks and having the trains run them over, either decapitating them or cutting them in half.”
A few weeks later, another two cats were found mutilated.
Police said the cats are being deliberately targeted and the suspect may be using a trap to catch cats; at least one of the animals was a family's pet.
Police said those responsible for the animal cruelty could face felony charges and they want to catch the responsible person or people before the behavior turns even more violent.
"What we worry about is an individual who is willing to do this to animals, eventually will progressively get worse, maybe even do this to adults or minor children,” Siufanua said.
The Humane Society of Utah said Tuesday it is offering a $3,000 reward for information that sheds light on the case, according to Carl Arky of the Humane Society.
Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call 801-852-7292.
— Sam Penrod
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Vernal oilfield company seeks help finding...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 68
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 53
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 41
- Federal government extends same-sex... 34
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15