Shocking cases of cruelty to cats on FrontRunner tracks in Provo
PROVO — Provo police are investigating several cases of animal cruelty involving cats and FrontRunner trains.
Approximately a month ago, investigators found four deceased cats that had been mutilated and tortured in the northwest area of Provo, between Independence Avenue and Geneva Road near the railroad tracks.
“The cats have been bound by tape on their paws, and also they had wire around their neck and there were also some signs of burning on the cats themselves,” said Provo Police Lt. Mathew Siufanua. “They are putting the cats on the railroad tracks and having the trains run them over, either decapitating them or cutting them in half.”
A few weeks later, another two cats were found mutilated.
Police said the cats are being deliberately targeted and the suspect may be using a trap to catch cats; at least one of the animals was a family's pet.
Police said those responsible for the animal cruelty could face felony charges and they want to catch the responsible person or people before the behavior turns even more violent.
"What we worry about is an individual who is willing to do this to animals, eventually will progressively get worse, maybe even do this to adults or minor children,” Siufanua said.
The Humane Society of Utah said Tuesday it is offering a $3,000 reward for information that sheds light on the case, according to Carl Arky of the Humane Society.
Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call 801-852-7292.
— Sam Penrod
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17