Provided by BYU
PROVO — Brigham Young University’s Men’s Chorus has raised its voice in a tribute to the increased missionary effort by recording a new album for Mormon missionaries, "Set Apart: Beloved Missionary Hymns."
“The album (was) created as a gift to all who share in the love of missionary work,” according to a press release from BYU’s College of Fine Arts and Communications.
The choir, the largest collegiate men’s choir in the nation, worked with arrangers of original compositions of well-loved missionary hymns who agreed to waive royalty fees so the album could be downloaded for free at setapartalbum.byu.edu/download.
Due to the unique composition of the choir, many members felt fit for the task of creating a missionary-themed album. Of the 180-member choir, 60 percent have served missions with many others preparing to serve missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“You feel that tremendous power coming from them when they sing and the enormous collective goodness that they emanate,” according to the press release. “There’s nothing in the world that could be a stronger power for good than that.”
The album was released online April 5.
In addition to recording and giving service, the choir spends time performing concerts on the BYU campus and abroad.
The choir was established in 1958 and for the past 12 years has been under the direction of Rosalind Hall.
Emmilie Buchanan is an intern for the Deseret News with Mormon Times. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho. Her views do not necessarily reflect those of BYU. Her email is at email@example.com.
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Mormons on social media react to Elder...
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but serves...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple cart
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 106
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 37
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Defending the Faith: The very... 22
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland posts picture... 16
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 15