Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — When thousands of supercross fans descend on Rice-Eccles Stadium this weekend for the Monster Energy Supercross tour, they'll see daring feats at white-knuckle speed.
But they won't see the hours of preparation it takes to transform the stadium into a supercross terrain park. Organizers Tuesday began filling Rice-Eccles with dirt by the truckload in preparation for Saturday's event.
Denny Hartwig, director of public relations for Felt Motor Sports, said the supercross tour begins January in Anaheim, Calif., and makes 17 stops around the country. The Salt Lake City event stands out, Hartwig said, partly because of the interest in action sports in the state and because it comes late in the tour.
"It sounds cliche, but the crowd in Salt Lake City is a very knowledgeable crowd," he said. "It's an important stop for us because it sets the stage for the final race in Las Vegas next week."
Monster Energy Supercross by the numbers
• 6,500 tons of dirt delivered to Rice-Eccles Stadium in 500 truckloads. Much of the dirt is stored nearby and reused for future events.
• It takes a 22-worker crew 82 hours to set up the track and 24 hours to break it down.
• 12 pieces of heavy equipment (bulldozers, loaders, etc.) are used in the track preparation.
• 3,600 pieces of plywood make up a temporary floor placed under the track dirt.
• 80 supercross competitors are featured in the event.
• 40,548 people attended the event last year.
• 17 stops on the Monster Energy Supercross tour. Salt Lake City is No. 16.
• Five consecutive years the supercross tour has stopped in Salt Lake City.
- Senate panel endorses anti-discrimination,...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- Mom of slain girl says teen murder suspect...
- Bill requires county clerks to provide person...
- Bariatric Surgery, shedding pounds and...
- Gov. Herbert: 'Fight goes on' for Healthy Utah
- Looking back at 'The Bible': Why the...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 93
- Defending the Faith: Exploring... 56
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 49
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Bill requires county clerks to provide... 38
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Gov. Gary Herbert's Healthy Utah plan... 26