OGDEN — Former Utah Governor, U.S. ambassador to China and U.S. presidential candidate Jon Huntsman Jr. will address graduates of Weber State University Friday during the school's commencement ceremonies, school officials announced last week.
The WSU class of 2013 is expected to total more than 4,327 graduates.
"The world is full of opportunities for our graduates,” Beverly Rudd, WSU’s director of special events, said in a prepared statement. “Commencement is our opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments and pay tribute to their success.”
In addition to his remarks, Huntsman will be awarded an honorary Weber State University degree.
Huntsman began his career as a White House staff assistant for President Ronald Reagan and was later appointed to ambassadorships by Presidents George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama. He served as a deputy United States trade representative for the George W. Bush administration.
Huntsman served as Utah governor from 2005 until his resignation in 2009 to serve as U.S. ambassador to China.
Honorary degrees will also be awarded to Sid Foulger, chairman of the board of Foulger-Pratt; Karen Lofgreen, a WSU emerita professor of teacher education; and Beverly Taylor Sorenson, founder of Art Works for Kids.
WSU's commence ceremonies will begin at 8 a.m. Friday with an academic processional, followed by a formal program and addresses at the Dee Events Center. Parking on campus will be free throughout the day and shuttle buses will run between the Dee Events Center and the main campus from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 27
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21